Share
Go down
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:37 am
As we're contemplating visiting Poland sometime in the near future, maybe next year, I'm now
checking out Polish composers beyond the usual suspects. In 1955 Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)
received the Polish Ministry of Culture Prize for her Symphony No. 4, completed two years earlier:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grażyna_Bacewicz

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:25 pm
Mr. K wrote:As we're contemplating visiting Poland sometime in the near future, maybe next year, I'm now
checking out Polish composers beyond the usual suspects. In 1955 Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969)
received the Polish Ministry of Culture Prize for her Symphony No. 4, completed two years earlier:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grażyna_Bacewicz

Splendid.

_________________
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:45 pm

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:58 am
Cool Cool Water wrote:

Most curious! At first I thought it was a hoax. There's some more information about this work here:

http://unheardbeethoven.org/search.php?Identifier=hess298

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm
Mr. K wrote:Most curious! At first I thought it was a hoax. There's some more information about this work here:

http://unheardbeethoven.org/search.php?Identifier=hess298

Thanks for the link, John! Very Happy

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:39 pm
I have this channel of 20th-century American orchestral music playing as I work. I was surprised to hear this most
accessible Symphony by Elliott Carter, who had a reputation for writing difficult music (see his wiki page below):




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Carter

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:02 pm
Mr. K wrote:I have this channel of 20th-century American orchestral music playing as I work. I was surprised to hear this most
accessible Symphony by Elliott Carter, who had a reputation for writing difficult music (see his wiki page below):




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliott_Carter

Most beautiful, John, thanks for posting!

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:13 am
Paul Hindemith has never been a household name but luckily his work still gets performed. This is
his colourful symphony Mathis der Maler (Matthias the Painter). On your marks, score readers:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony:_Mathis_der_Maler

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:19 pm
Mr. K wrote:Paul Hindemith has never been a household name but luckily his work still gets performed. This is
his colourful symphony Mathis der Maler (Matthias the Painter). On your marks, score readers:

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony:_Mathis_der_Maler

Really liked the chord progression throughout that piece.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 am
I heard an except from Earth Particles on the radio yesterday and something
about it made me want to hear it again. This is the opening "Invocation":
 



Almost all information about this album is in Polish (or Dutch). This one is the best I could find in English:

http://www.hollandbaroque.com/en/projecten/holland-baroque-en-leszek-mo-d-er


Last edited by Mr. K on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:12 pm
Mr. K wrote:I heard an except from Earth Particles on the radio yesterday and something
about it made me want to hear it again. This is the opening "Invocation":
 



Almost all information about this album is in Polish (or Dutch), This one is the best I could find in English:

http://www.hollandbaroque.com/en/projecten/holland-baroque-en-leszek-mo-d-er

Splendid.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:55 am
This is one I heard recently while doing rough copies of things for my work. Harvest by Morton Gould is an absolute beauty. I'm drawn to orchestral pieces that say it all in a few minutes. Those few vibraphone notes are sheer magic.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Gould

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 pm
^^^
Another good one.

_________________
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 pm

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^
You posted this at the end of March! You're not on the piss, by any chance?

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:03 pm
^^^^ All a blur now, John!

Moving on. This is an interesting listen I found.


_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:^^^^ All a blur now, John!

Moving on. This is an interesting listen I found.


Beautiful! We have that too. Perhaps our most amazing listening experience was on our friends' Norwegian island----yes, they owned one!----listening to this on a cassette player looking out across the fjords.

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:15 pm
BBC classical radio has this feature on Sunday mornings when they play sounds of nature from some part of the world, often recorded some time ago, interspersed with appropriate music. This time it was the song of humpback whales somewhere in the Caribbean, I believe. And this is one of the accompanying pieces they played:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_God_Created_Great_Whales

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm
Mr. K wrote:BBC classical radio has this feature on Sunday mornings when they play sounds of nature from some part of the world, often recorded some time ago, interspersed with appropriate music. This time it was the song of humpback whales somewhere in the Caribbean, I believe. And this is one of the accompanying pieces they played:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_God_Created_Great_Whales

Splendid.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon May 07, 2018 5:03 am
I was listening to this selection of laid-back Russian orchestral music a few days ago while working. I love this stuff--and it's true that the Russians do it better than anyone.


_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon May 07, 2018 6:25 pm
Mr. K wrote:I was listening to this selection of laid-back Russian orchestral music a few days ago while working. I love this stuff--and it's true that the Russians do it better than anyone.


Love the piano from the off! Splendid stuff.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri May 11, 2018 10:28 am
Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings suits my reflective mood right now:


_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sat May 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Mr. K wrote:Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings suits my reflective mood right now:


Classic.

_________________
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 639
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue May 29, 2018 9:21 pm

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 590
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:20 am
Posted this at PSF yesterday and noticed that it hadn't been posted here yet. Max Richter has recomposed Vivaldi's warhorse The Four Seasons into something quite ambient at times, yet staying more faithful to old Antonio at others. It's a wonderful give and take between the two.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recomposed_by_Max_Richter:_Vivaldi_–_The_Four_Seasons

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
Sponsored content

Re: Brahms and Liszt

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum