Share
Go down
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm
Today is the fateful day in 1905 in Russian history when soldiers of the Imperial Guard fired upon
unarmed demonstrators marching on the Winter Palace in St Petersburg, killing several hundred of
them. Shostakovich commemorates it in the second movement of his Eleventh Symphony, although
it is more likely a depiction of the then recent crushing of the Hungarian Revolution by Soviet troops.    



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._11_(Shostakovich)

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 pm
Mr. K wrote:Today is the fateful day in 1905 in Russian history when soldiers of the Imperial Guard fired upon
unarmed demonstrators marching on the Winter Palace in St Petersburg, killing several hundred of
them. Shostakovich commemorates it in the second movement of his Eleventh Symphony, although
it is more likely a depiction of the then recent crushing of the Hungarian Revolution by Soviet troops.    



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._11_(Shostakovich)

Play at full volume, otherwise you won't hear the deathly hush at 15:06. Wink

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:Play at full volume, otherwise you won't hear the deathly hush at 15:06. Wink

Forgot to say that. And I see you've added that as a comment on YouTube----thanks!

Polyeucte is not Paul Dukas' best known work but it should be better known
than it is. The intensely self-critical Dukas----he destroyed many of his
compositions----was also an avid collector of pornographic pictures.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Dukas


Last edited by Mr. K on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 pm
Mr. K wrote:
Forgot to say that. And I see you've added that as a comment on YouTube----thanks!

Yep and it was two years ago now! I have to big the legendary Mr. K up to the world, man!  afro

Mr. K wrote:


Splendid stuff.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:49 am
I wonder if anyone else has ever done this? John Cage, perhaps? "This" being writing two pieces
that can be played individually but also simultaneously. The Swedish-Dutch composer Klas
Torstensson did just that in 2016. Sönerna for saxophone, trombone, guitar and percussion (which
starts at the sixteen-minute mark) and No slash for violin, cello, piano and percussion (starting at
36:25) when combined become Elliott loves bebop (at 57:30), Elliott no doubt being Elliott Carter.



http://www.klastorstensson.com/biography.htm

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am
I've posted stuff by Gerald Finzi before (at our old home) but was only made
aware of Lo, the Full, Final Sacrifice today in a passing YouTube comment.  




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo,_the_full,_final_sacrifice

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:21 pm
Mr. K wrote:I've posted stuff by Gerald Finzi before (at our old home) but was only made
aware of Lo, the Full, Final Sacrifice today in a passing YouTube comment.  




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo,_the_full,_final_sacrifice

Splendid & I love the pictures in the video as well.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:42 pm
How about these four shots of animal-loving composers:

Ralph Vaughan Williams...



...Dmitri Shostakovich...



...Leonard Bernstein...



...and Giacomo Puccini.



_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:39 pm
Mr. K wrote:

Is that my camel? lol!

_________________
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:40 pm
We can't forget about this classic. He's still alive as well, age 78! Cool


_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 am
After posting my Haydn symphony at PSF in my new symphonies mini-series (why is everyone yawning?), I looked around to see if anyone had written any more than his 106. And lo and behold, there's a Finnish gent name of Leif Segerstam who's written 316!  And many of them get performed too, which is more than can be said of another even more prolific symphonist whose name I noticed during my research but never noted (I'll try and find him again*).  

This is the gorgeous #253, subtitled "Crazily alone at Christmas, but in the family of universes of sounds":  



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Segerstam

* It's Rowan Taylor, but he wrote a mere 265: https://motleyvision.org/2005/09/08/news-most-prolific-composer-rowan-taylor-dead/

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:05 pm
Mr. K wrote:


Splendid.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:50 pm
I once accompanied this at choir rehearsals (thankfully we didn't get as far as the
turbulent bit). Brahms's Schicksalslied (Song of Destiny) is a gem among choral works.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schicksalslied

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:58 pm
^^^

Splendid.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:12 pm
I keep coming back to this chilling yet mesmerizing work, in this version. Gavin Bryars' The Sinking of the Titanic has been recorded three times but it's the original 1975 version that has captured my imagination. The lowest link refers to the 1995 Point release but much of its information (and that of the link it contains) is relevant to the 1975 recording.

   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinking_of_the_Titanic

http://www.gavinbryars.com/Pages/titanic_point.html

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm
Mr. K wrote:I keep coming back to this chilling yet mesmerizing work, in this version. Gavin Bryars' The Sinking of the Titanic has been recorded three times but it's the original 1975 version that has captured my imagination. The lowest link refers to the 1995 Point release but much of its information (and that of the link it contains) is relevant to the 1975 recording.

   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sinking_of_the_Titanic

http://www.gavinbryars.com/Pages/titanic_point.html

Moving, wonderful and very powerful.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:35 pm
This is the very antithesis of the Bryars piece.  Written in 1972 by Veljo Tormis (and revised in 1991), Raua needmine (Curse Upon Iron) takes us back to prehistoric times, adding a shaman drum to the a cappella choir. It scared the life out of me when I heard it on the radio earlier this week!



Ohoi cursed, evil iron!
Ohoi evil, cursed iron!
Flesh consuming, bone devouring,
Spilling blood, devouring virtue!
Whither comes your cruel cunning,
Haughtiness so overbearing?
Fie upon you, evil iron!
Your beginnings reek of malice.
You have risen from villainy.

From above the earth appeared
Fiery maidens in the heavens,
Heavily with milk a-laden,
Spilling milk upon the marshes.
Black, the liquid from one maiden,
Turning into ductile iron.
White milk flowing from the other,
Tempered steel from this arising.
From the third a crimson liquid,
Cursed, rusty ore created.

Ohoi cursed, evil iron!
Ohoi evil, cursed iron!
Then you were not high and mighty,
Not so mighty, not so haughty,
When you slumbered in the swampland
When you suffered in the marshes.
Fie upon you, evil iron!
Your beginnings reek of malice.
You have risen from villainy.

Then a wolf came running hither,
Bear a-rambling over younder.
Footprints stirring in the swampland,
Traces from the swamp arising
Giving rise to iron seedlings,
In the shadows of the wolf prints
In the traces of the bear tracks.

Ohoi wretched child of bogland,
Born of rust and milk of maidens!
Tell me who made you so angry!
Who set you to evil doings?


The text from the Kalevala was adapted and augmented by August Annist, Paul-Eerik Rummo and Jaan Kaplinski.

Source: https://www.chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/BI1993.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veljo_Tormis

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 243
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Taking Sith Lessons From Emperor Palpatine
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:38 pm
Mr. K wrote:This is the very antithesis of the Bryars piece.  Written in 1972 by Veljo Tormis (and revised in 1991), Raua needmine (Curse Upon Iron) takes us back to prehistoric times, adding a shaman drum to the a cappella choir. It scared the life out of me when I heard it on the radio earlier this week!



Ohoi cursed, evil iron!
Ohoi evil, cursed iron!
Flesh consuming, bone devouring,
Spilling blood, devouring virtue!
Whither comes your cruel cunning,
Haughtiness so overbearing?
Fie upon you, evil iron!
Your beginnings reek of malice.
You have risen from villainy.

From above the earth appeared
Fiery maidens in the heavens,
Heavily with milk a-laden,
Spilling milk upon the marshes.
Black, the liquid from one maiden,
Turning into ductile iron.
White milk flowing from the other,
Tempered steel from this arising.
From the third a crimson liquid,
Cursed, rusty ore created.

Ohoi cursed, evil iron!
Ohoi evil, cursed iron!
Then you were not high and mighty,
Not so mighty, not so haughty,
When you slumbered in the swampland
When you suffered in the marshes.
Fie upon you, evil iron!
Your beginnings reek of malice.
You have risen from villainy.

Then a wolf came running hither,
Bear a-rambling over younder.
Footprints stirring in the swampland,
Traces from the swamp arising
Giving rise to iron seedlings,
In the shadows of the wolf prints
In the traces of the bear tracks.

Ohoi wretched child of bogland,
Born of rust and milk of maidens!
Tell me who made you so angry!
Who set you to evil doings?


The text from the Kalevala was adapted and augmented by August Annist, Paul-Eerik Rummo and Jaan Kaplinski.

Source: https://www.chandos.net/chanimages/Booklets/BI1993.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veljo_Tormis

Now you`re understanding my take on life. Twisted Evil lol!

_________________
By Jesus! I`ll have a Kraken, barkeep!

avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am
This is in memory of the great Stephen Hawking, who died today aged 76. In "Neptune" from
Gustav Holst's orchestral suite The Planets, the door closes slowly on the female choir with
the final bar "repeated until the sound is lost in the distance". A genius now rests in peace.  




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 pm
Mr. K wrote:This is in memory of the great Stephen Hawking, who died today aged 76. In "Neptune" from
Gustav Holst's orchestral suite The Planets, the door closes slowly on the female choir with
the final bar "repeated until the sound is lost in the distance". A genius now rests in peace.  




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planets

A splendid piece and a great tribute to a wonderful man.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 pm
If this is the time of year when Dutch Protestants go potty for Bach's St. Matthew Passion, the Catholics turn to another often-set text, the Stabat Mater. Apparently there are something like 450 settings of it. The latest to join its ranks is the stunning hour-long setting by the  Scottish composer Sir James MacMillan. YouTube has some
tantalizing clips on offer (including https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2vV7JI8A0) but not the whole thing---yet.


One they do have is this more compact setting (one of two) by Josef Rheinberger:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Rheinberger

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:33 pm
Mr. K wrote:


Splendid! I also love the vocal range.

_________________
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 243
Reputation : 5
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Taking Sith Lessons From Emperor Palpatine
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 am
Vernal Equinox is today!

Track: 'Spring Waltz'---Frederic Chopin


_________________
By Jesus! I`ll have a Kraken, barkeep!

avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 831
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:41 am
I found this fantastic version of Bach's Goldberg Variations programmed on a Juno 106 synth that's obviously seen better days, lol. As uploader czardan points out, "Beware of strange sound bumps, my old Juno 106 has rather worn down electronics that crack and detune at times (not to be confused with the crazy portamento), and my computer is sometimes too slow to process real-time data over MIDI." Highly recommended!



en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_Variations

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 842
Reputation : 11
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: Brahms and Liszt

on Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:55 pm
Mr. K wrote:I found this fantastic version of Bach's Goldberg Variations programmed on a Juno 106 synth that's obviously seen better days, lol. As uploader czardan points out, "Beware of strange sound bumps, my old Juno 106 has rather worn down electronics that crack and detune at times (not to be confused with the crazy portamento), and my computer is sometimes too slow to process real-time data over MIDI." Highly recommended!



en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldberg_Variations

Wacky stuff, I like it! Shocked

_________________
Sponsored content

Re: Brahms and Liszt

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum