THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations Empty Re: The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 pm
My Dad used to play this to me all the time when I was younger, on a cassette tape he had I'll add lol, in one of his cars at the time. The rawness of it sounded brilliant on the tape!

However. let that not take away the genius the song in general, what a tune!  Cool  

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations Empty Re: The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm
It struck me only yesterday that the deep minor chords in "WIBN" have roughly the same lie and feel as those in "Three Blind Mice"...
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:50 am
Easing myself back into everyday life, I gave this album a spin while organizing the dishwasher. A fascinating fact
about Surfer Girl is its lineup: the Boys (with both David and Alan), the Crew (including strings), Maureen and
(by implication only) The Honeys ("South Bay Surfer"). Brian's in control and it's a joyous time for the Boys:

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 am
It's Tony Asher's 79th birthday today. Many happy returns, sir, and thankyou thankyou thankyou!

This may be his finest hour (in more ways than one):

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:51 pm
Well worth a watch if not seen!

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 pm
What a sultry summer song--and criminally underrated too:

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:24 pm
Saw my Dad played this the other day;

**PS.....It seems we have double of this thread? scratch scratch scratch
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:32 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:Saw my Dad played this the other day;

**PS.....It seems we have double of this thread? scratch scratch scratch

Brilliant bass--that is unbelievable! But no, there's no double thread--the other one is after Pet Sounds and "Good Vibrations"...
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:33 am
Mr. K wrote:But no, there's no double thread--the other one is after Pet Sounds and "Good Vibrations"...  

My bad! Embarassedlol!
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:48 pm
I haven't seen this documentary in many years! One of the best and from 2002!

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:18 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:I haven't seen this documentary in many years! One of the best and from 2002!

It's back! I'd always assumed it had been taken down because a DVD was in the pipeline. Evidently not.

This is my absolute favourite BB documentary. Many thanks for linking it.
The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations Smile
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:47 pm
Mr. K wrote:It's back! I'd always assumed it had been taken down because a DVD was in the pipeline. Evidently not.

This is my absolute favourite BB documentary. Many thanks for linking it.
The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations Smile

I believe it should be released on DVD, but sadly it never will. The BBC never mess around when doing a documentary and deliver every time. With that said I'm surprised it never did make it to disc.

It's also my favourite BB doc, too! Very Happy
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:23 am
I was delighted to see "WIBN" used in a newspaper crossword puzzle we do on weekdays. When all the clues are answered a topical word, name or expression appears in the middle of the puzzle. The exact clue was "___ It Be Nice" (Beach Boys).

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:10 pm
Mr. K wrote:I was delighted to see "WIBN" used in a newspaper crossword puzzle we do on weekdays. When all the clues are answered a topical word, name or expression appears in the middle of the puzzle. The exact clue was "___ It Be Nice" (Beach Boys).

That's awesome!
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 pm
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 pm
What a fascinating read! Thanks to c-man for quoting Adam Marsland's astonishing analysis of "The Lord's Prayer". The Beach Boys up to Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations Rolleyes

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12606.msg642376.html#msg642376

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm
I felt this was an appropriate choice to play today:

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Poster Mylene named this in the "Beginning of the End" game at Hoffman. Reason enough to play it here:

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:00 pm
^^^
Classic!
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:56 pm
A personal early favourite of my Dad's and mine too for that matter. The whole surf groove on this track is excellent. Just check out that guitar work from Carl and David, awesome!  

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:A personal early favourite of my Dad's and mine too for that matter. The whole surf groove on this track is excellent. Just check out that guitar work from Carl and David, awesome!  

Can't beat the Carl-Dave machine in full flight! Wink
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:49 am
After more than half a year, it's high time this thread was revived with a song that I was reminded of the other day. Mike's bass burblings on "The Girl From New York City" make me wonder whether they might have influenced those "jitterbug" bass interjections in Wham's "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go": 

smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:01 am
i read a list recently about the guys online and it's funny they talked about the lesser known stuff and talked about Kokomo but in talking about their #1 songs they left out good vibrations! WTF?
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:56 am
smileysmile42 wrote:i read a list recently about the guys online and it's funny they talked about the lesser known stuff and talked about Kokomo but in talking about their #1 songs they left out good vibrations!  WTF?  

Bizarre! If I remember correctly, their US #1s were "I Get Around", "Help Me, Rhonda", "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo". In the UK you had "GV" and "Do It Again". 

Checking Wikipedia, other #1s that only made it in other countries were "When I Grow Up" (Canada) and, surprisingly, "Surfin' Safari" (Sweden, their first #1 anywhere).
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:42 pm
didn't Cotton Fields shock everyone by being a hit in i think the land of Oz? i'm too tired to look up the spelling. i don't remember what number it went up to.. but in that article which i'm sure you can read i think was just  talking about singles in the US. there was another one i read where they rated their albums and some of them i agreed with, i read one last week i think it was? where it rated Elton John's albums and i think No. #6 was Made in England which is a good album don't get me wrong but putting Madman  at #11 is just plain Criminal.  that's my favorite Elton John Album, some of the albums they listed in that list i disagree with and some i agreed with. i dunno what order i'd put them in to be honest but one of these days i will make my own list and the same thing goes for the guys too
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum