THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Beach Boys information Empty Beach Boys information

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 pm
I recently discovered a mass of BB information in a Word document of that name, almost all of it lifted from the old defunct Capitol Board. I'll post it now and tidy it up as time goes by. All authors are named--folks if you object to me posting this here for any reason, let me know and I'll remove the offending passages forthwith.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Beach Boys information Empty Re: Beach Boys information

Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 pm
AGD: 
In 1962/3, David was quite possibly the most proficient musician in the band, Brian included - he was certainly the best guitar player. 

David was on the back cover [of Little Deuce Coupe] for the excellent reason he'd played on all the tracks on the album (the first BB session he didn't play on was "Little St. Nick"): his final show with The Beach Boys was two days before the album was released, in San Diego [says David himself].

Alan returned to the band in summer 1963, and appears on four tracks on the preceding Surfer Girl album: "Boogie Woodie", "Surfer's Rule" & "Catch A Wave" and "In My Room". Thus from mid-July to early October 1963, both Alan and David were in the band.

To the best of my knowledge (as the AFM sheets for both the Surfer Girl and LDC albums are oddly missing), here's the song-by-song line up:

Little Deuce Coupe - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis (recorded 6/12/63)
Ballad Of Ole' Betsy- Brian/Carl/David/Dennis (recorded 2/9/63)
Be True To Your School - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded 9/63)
Car Crazy Cutie - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded 9/63)
Cherry, Cherry Coupe - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded 9/63)
409 - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis (recorded 4/19/62)

Side 2:
Shut Down - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Mike (recorded 1/5/63)
Spirit of America - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded 9/63) 
Our Car Club - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded between 6/29/63 and 7/18/63)
No-Go Showboat - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded 9/63)
A Young Man Is Gone - Brian/Carl/Alan/Dennis/Mike (recorded 9/63)
Custom Machine - Brian/Carl/David/Dennis/Alan (recorded 9/63)

Now Carrie Marks:
Oct 5th was his last concert, but not necessarily his last day in the band. The story told by Ron Swallow in the Lost Beach Boy where he witnessed the final showdown between Murry and Jo Ann happened sometime between the 5th and the 19th when Al appears on guitar for the first time at the Hollywood Bowl. 

That COULD have happened after the session on the 18th for all we know...the last minute nature of the switch would explain Al's rather poor performance that day and his lack of a Fender guitar. Or the LSN/DI ["Little Saint Nick"/"Drive-In"] session date could have been fudged by a week to account for David's real departure...like the questionable 9/3/63 marathon session that produced how many songs coincidentally (cough) the business day after the backdated 8/30 departure.

Have a close listen to LSN...sounds an awful lot like David to my ears. Besides, David has always steadfastly claimed FFF was the 1st song released he didn't play on because it hurt him so much to hear it on the radio after having rehearsed the song but didn't record it - much like he felt when he heard Surfin'.

[Brianmargo67] 
Original lineup (1961-62):
Brian Wilson
Mike Love
Carl Wilson
Dennis Wilson
Al Jardine

Jardine quit; replaced with Marks (1962)

1962-1963 lineup:
Brian
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Dave

Marks quit; Jardine rejoined (1963)

1963-1964 lineup:
Brian
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Al

Brian stops touring; Glen Campbell is his touring replacement (1964-65)
Bruce Johnston replaces Campbell on the road and becomes an unofficial sixth Beach Boy in the studio (1965-1971)

1965-1971 lineup:
Brian (studio only)
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Al
Bruce

Bruce quits after the release of the SURF'S UP album; Dennis hurts his hand and can't drum; replacements are Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar (1971)

1971-1974 lineup:
Brian (studio only)
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Al
Blondie
Ricky

Fataar quits (1975) and Dennis goes back to drumming; Chaplin quits at the end of 1975 and Brian resumes touring at least part time.

1976-1979 lineup
Brian
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Al

Bruce rejoins after producing LA LIGHT ALBUM (1979-)

1979-1981 lineup
Brian
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Al
Bruce

Carl quits the band to tour as a solo act; Dennis is fired from the band in hopes he'll stop drinking 

1981-1982 lineup
Brian
Mike
Al
Bruce

Carl and Dennis rejoin

1982-1983 lineup
Brian
Mike
Carl
Dennis
Al
Bruce

Dennis dies and is not officially replaced (1983)

1984-1988 lineup
Brian
Mike
Carl
Al
Bruce

Brian is a part-time Beach Boy once he starts recording solo material, and through the early 90s the group lineup (the "Kokomo"/SUMMER IN PARADISE Beach Boys) is basically:

1988-mid 90s
Mike
Carl
Al
Bruce

Brian leaves the group officially in the mid '90s; Dave Marks rejoins briefly

1990s lineup
Mike
Carl
Al
Bruce
Dave

Carl dies in 1998; Al leaves the band (was he fired or did he quit, or was it "You can't fire me, I quit") around the time Carl dies; Dave leaves shortly thereafter, leaving...

1998-present lineup
Mike
Bruce
and whomever

The Beach Boys Band website (www.beachboysband.com) has an extensive list of sidemen who have played with the band. Hard to keep track of them, but really, their creative contributions were minimal. The band members in this list are the ones who were the "official" members (pictured on album covers-tour programs-etc). 

By all accounts, Bruce was actually an official member during the recording of SUMMER DAYS, but he was not allowed to be pictured with the band because he was still under contract to Columbia Records as a solo artist/producer (Bruce and Terry, etc). But he was definitely a STUDIO Beach Boy from early 1965 on, as well as a touring Beach Boy.

AGD: According to Steve Desper's little book about recording Sunflower Surf's Up, the vocal part in question [the "girl's" voice on "Long Promised Road"] is Alan, triple tracked.
to return briefly to the "chatter" heard during the mono version of "Here Today"....

To the best of my knowledge, this is it: 

(In the background you can hear the instrumental break in "Here Today".) 
Voice I (after singing a few casual falsetto notes): Do you have that attached to the flash that you've rigged up?
Voice II (softer and lower) Yeah I do.
Voice I (sounding impressed): Very good! 
Voice II (very softly): Here we go...
Brian (rather loudly): Top, please! (This might be some sort of musicians' jargon for stop (talking), or what he might have said was: "(Don't) talk, please!"
I don't trust my own ears on this matter, s*b, but I managed to dig this up on an obscure internet site, so I hope it's right! 

"During the first verse and most of the third [of "Sloop John B"], Brian sang lead; during the second verse and the last line of the third, Mike sang lead" 

Give it a listen and see what you think (Mike has a more nasal voice)...
QUOTE(Prog5000 @ Dec 5 2005, 10:15 AM)
I love the Brian Wilson recording of SMiLE 2004. But I wondered, which albums do segments of smile appear on? for example Wonderful is on smiley smile etc.

[JK] These all appeared in one form or another on original, non-bootleg albums (excluding bonus tracks on CD reissues etc). 
All corrections/additions welcome...   
- Prayer - 20/20 (as "Our Prayer")
- Heroes And Villains - Smiley Smile
- Cabin Essence - 20/20 (as "Cabinessence")
- Wonderful - Smiley Smile (the middle section of the SS version also derives from the Smile sessions but I can't recall where - I might get back to you on that!) 
- Surf's Up - Surf's Up
- Workshop - there's a snatch of "Smile"-era carpentry at the end of "Do It Again" on 20/20 
- Vega-Tables - Smiley Smile (as "Vegetables"). "Eat a lot, sleep a lot" became "Mama Said" on Wild Honey
- Wind Chimes - Smiley Smile
- Mrs. O'Leary's Cow (Fire) - the 2004 version includes elements (excuse the pun) of "Fall Breaks And Back To Winter" on Smiley Smile 
- In Blue Hawaii - parts of it adapted as "Cool, Cool Water" on Sunflower 
- Good Vibrations - Smiley Smile

[Mark] Don't Go Near The water took elements of the water suite that was included on Smile also. Espescially the sound effects and the bottle tuning which also ended up on Cool Cool Water.
Q: this mite sound like a stupid question but who's bernie? 
A: Not at all! Bernie is fellow poster "bblvr13" AKA the famous Bernadette from Santa Fe Springs (Cali), who introduced us all to the word "retro" and is more than a bit retro herself. She also has more than 2000 posts which is a bit greedy but that's life...   

Q: i have another question, i would like to know who sings lead in these songs:
A: there's no other (like my baby) - BRIAN 
i was made to love her - CARL
i just wasn't made for these times - BRIAN
thats not me - MIKE and also BRIAN (on the higher bits, I should imagine) 
why do fools fall in love - BRIAN
devoted to you - MIKE and BRIAN sing in harmony on this lovely one
barbara ann - DEAN TORRENCE (of Jan and Dean) sang lead on this with BRIAN
lady lynda - AL
and wild honey - CARL in great form

thanks 
You're welcome! 
I don't think I've made any mistakes but if I have, someone else (maybe Mark) is bound to point it out!  
[leads- BM] "Good Time" - Brian
"Honkin' Down The Highway" - Al
"Solar System" - Brian
"Just Once In My Life" - Carl on the verses and Brian on the chorus
"Let Us Go On This Way" - Carl, with Mike on the bridge
"Ding Dang" - Mike, with the group on backing vocals (Carl is rather prominent)

As for "Had To Phone Ya"... ok, this is all of them, basically, taking turns almost line by line: 

"Had to Phone ya, had to phone ya just to talk to you/ Had to phone ya, just to tell you I was missing you" -- Mike
"It lifts my spirits every single time" --Carl (or is it Al?)
"Sometimes you're busy for a while, but when I get through it makes me smile" -Dennis
"When I phone ya California's not so far away... I visualize that you're lookin' fine" Mike
"Feels so good when you come on the line" -- Carl (or is it Al?)
"Come on, come on and answer the phone" --Brian

I can't remember if those lines are Carl or Al... I don't have the album right in front of me to check or listen... sorry.

My favorite shared lead vocal on that album (LOVE YOU) is "I'll Bet He's Nice," probably one of the only tracks where Brian, Dennis and Carl share the lead on a song. Dennis sings "I'll bet he's nice, I'll bet he's twice," then Brian takes over on "As nice as me and it makes me cry, 'cause I remember you and I, please don't tell me if it's true, because I'm still in love with..." and then Denny comes back with "You pretty darlin', you my pretty darlin..." Same in the other verses. And then Carl sings that gorgeous middle eight... and the arrangement is amazing. If there were no vocals, it'd be funny, almost, all those synthesized chirps and murmurs... an amazing track, one of those that just blows my mind every time I hear it.
QUOTE(surfer*babe @ Oct 7 2005, 05:06 PM)
thank you. does brian do the low part in good time as well? coz i thort it sounded like Al.  
[BM]It MIGHT be Al... it does sound kinda like him... I'll have to go back and listen. But the rest is DEFINITELY Brian from their demo c1970-71. Anyone else have a clue?
[Mark] I thought it was Al in the demo I have. Brian does the part when he sings it with American Spring.Well I assume its Brian as he takes all the male backing parts 
[surfer*babe]so are we taking it that its most likely Al singing. i was tryin to work it out and it really doesn't sound like any of the others. 
[BM] The main part of the verses ("My girlfriend Betty...") and the refrain ("Maybe it won't last...") that is DEFINITELY Brian... the part that I thought was Al was the part "And when she gets to dancin'..." That section in each verse, I THINK is Al. But most of the lead vocal is Brian, c 1970-71.
hi, i have another question (sorry it's another lead vocal one) but i was wondering who sung lead in these songs;
surfs up (the one on the 3cd platinium collection sounds of summer cd)
marcella
california dreaming 
california saga/california
[JK]Hey s*b, I (and everyone else) missed those questions, don't ask me how...  

- "Surf's Up" looks like it's the version from the album of that name (released 1970) , in which case CARL sings part one (over Brian's original arrangment recorded in 1967(?)); BRIAN sings the "dove nested towers" section to his own piano accompaniment as seen in the Leonard Bernstein documentary; and EVERYONE (including Brian apparently) sings the "Child Is Father Of The Man" section at the end;
- "Marcella" has CARL and MIKE singing lead;
- "California Dreamin'" is AL and CARL; and
- "California Saga/California" is BRIAN (the first two lines about "sunny Californ-eye-ay") and then MIKE.
[Mark] Then again John I also read that almost every part on Pet Sounds was already dubbed by Brian before the BB's ever heard the music. There are exceptions such as Carls vocal on God Only Knows and Bruces back up on the fade out. I know there's an answer which gives Mike a strong basis for the middle eight of the song. Sloop John B was tried with Al's vocals / Brians vocals and Carls Vocals and of course Mike on the second part asking to go home.
[mainly all-this-is-that]Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian; Mike on bridge
You Still Believe in Me: Brian
That's Not Me: Mike; Brian on "I'm glad I went/Now I'm that much more sure/That we're ready"
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder): Brian
I'm Waiting for the Day: Brian
Sloop John B: This is a tricky one, but I'll give it a try. 
First verse: Brian. 
Second verse: Brian (melody) and Al (upper harmony). 
Third verse: Mike.
Fourth verse: Brian. 
Fourth verse, last line ("This is the worst trip/I've ever been on"): Mike.
God Only Knows: Carl, with Brian doubling Carl's lines in the "tag" (Bruce alternates with him) as well as the soaring "horn" line.
"I've also always liked the middle section of the song (after the staccato instrumental break), where Brian (uncharacteristically singing the lowest part), Carl (in the middle), and Bruce (falsetto) do a lovely three-part counterpoint."
I Know There's An Answer: Another tricky one.
First line of every verse: Mike.
Rest of every verse: Al. (DOE & TOBLER'S BOOK: "ACCORDING TO MANY FANS, THE VOICE ON THE VERSE AFTER LOVE'S FIRST LINE SOUNDS MORE LIKE JARDINE THAN BRIAN")
Chorus: Brian.
Here Today: Mike
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times: Brian
Caroline No: Accelerated Brian  
"Also note that almost all of Brian's lead vocals are in the tenor range rather than the falsetto range. Yes, he sings falsetto backgrounds, but there isn't a song like "Don't Worry Baby" or "Let Him Run Wild" where his lead is almost strictly falsetto. 
I wonder if this was deliberate; Brian was always self-conscious about his falsetto (apparently because he thought people laughed at him), even though - in my opinion, anyway - it's the most beautiful aspect of the early Beach Boys sound. Perhaps he was making a statement of some sort: "This is grown-upmusic, folks. I'm not going to sing like a kid any more." 
AGD speaks out:
"I Get Around" was certified gold on 22nd February 1982 while "Kokomo" was certified gold AND platinum on January 10th 1989.

Brian had informed Capitol in mid-December that he couldn't deliver the album as promised on January 1st, but would in all probability deliver by January 15th, so as far as Capitol were concerned, the project was still happening. In fact they were still discussing using the covers and booklets to release some form of Smile as late as fall 1967.

According to Andrew, who asked someone who was there, Carl drummed on "Moon Dawg".

What sounds like a banjo on "Cabin Essence" is a bouzouki, played by Tommy Tedesco. Some guy called Jardine played banjo on tracks like "California".

Carrie Marks: 

"David has said that Carl was actually a very good drummer - more technical than Dennis. And while on the on the subject of Dennis going up front to sing, David was the first one to go back to play drums while Dennis sang. During 1962 and 1963 David played drums (live) on Surfer Girl and Silly Boy."

"The girl on the back of the LP cover is Nik Venet's girlfriend - not Andrea Carlo. Through the years people have made the incorrect assumption the girl in the photo is the girl on County Fair. However, the LP photo session was totally staged...it wasn't taken during an actual recording session."
JK:
January:
16 The Boys record versions (later discarded) of "Lana" and "Farmer's Daughter" at a New York studio in 1963 "
AGD:
Nope. The band didn't play NYC until August that year... in fact, they didn't play anywhere outside California until late January.
JK:
"February:
16 With Alan recently returned to dental school, the Boys debut as a four-piece at LA's Rainbow Gardens in 1962"
AGD:
Nope - Alan was working in LA, most likely for Garrett AirResearch. His stint at Ferris U. was 1960-61.
AGD on The Monkey's Uncle:
The band only sang on the song - the track was pre-recorded. I'd imagine Brian rustled up some on the spot vocal arrangement, but that was all.
AGD on David Lee Roth's version of "California Girls":
The bvs on Diamond Dave's excellent cover of "CG" were Carl & Christopher Cross. Neither were in the video.

Interesting point - Dave wanted the band to do the bvs on "Just Like Paradise", and contacted them to do same, but when he discovered that they couldn't guarantee that Brian would participate, he changed his mind. 
AGD on the "calendar":
"March 29: Stars at a BW tribute concert at NYC's Radio City Music Hall in 2001 include Crosby, Simon and Joni Mitchell"
I don't recall seeing Joni, either there or on the DVD.

"May 20: The Beach Boys Official State Landmark unveiled in Hawthorne in 2005. Brian, Alan, Mike and David Marks attend "
Mike was most certainly NOT there that day.

"June 24: Bruce Johnston born 1944"
1942. According to Bruce. He was born Benjamin Baldwin, later changed to Bruce Arthur Johnston upon adoption.

"July 12: "Sloop John B" backing track recorded in a nine-hour session in 1965 "
Three hours - the AFM sheet gives the time as 12.00am-3.00am 
AGD on "Sloop John B" 

Mid-February 1966, Brian handed Capitol a preliminary track list for Pet Sounds, which included a track (as yet unrecorded) called "Good, Good, Good Vibrations"... and "Sloop John B", by then recorded but not released until March. Therefore...

it was not included because it was the current hit...

it was not included at the company's insistance.

---------------------------------

Here's the list Brian handed in  [to Capitol] (circa February 23rd):

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Caroline, No
Good, Good, Good Vibrations
You Still Believe In Me
That's Not Me
Hang On To Your Ego (= I Know There's An Answer)
Sloop John B
The Old Man And The Baby (= Let's Go Away For A While)
Don't Talk...
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times

The note indicated that there would be two additional titles, one an instrumental. In the event, "GGGV" was dropped, an instrumental from November 1965 was pulled from the vault and three new songs recorded - "I'm Waiting For The Day", "Here Today" and "God Only Knows".

----------------------------------

It was always dubious even by doing basic math - "SJB" was released late March '66, charted April 2 and began looking like a hit the following week. Pet Sounds hit the stores four, five weeks later - given the mechanics of mastering and packaging, there's no way a new track could be added in that time (this is ignoring the fact that the final album sessions were in mid-April !). Then the liners of the 1999 mono/stereo 2fer (by Brad Elliott) revealed the truth, something that has been totally ignored in subsequent re-issues. Brian's admitted it was his idea in recent interviews.
AGD (again): 
FWIW, many years ago - late 80s - I showed my doctor some videos of Brian talking and running/jogging, and without any prompting on my part he said "he's had a stroke at some time - a mild one, probably doesn't realise it himself, but he's certainly had one".

AGD on the song "Endless Harmony":
First written (and partially recorded) during the Carl & The Passions sessions.
JK said:
I've been trying to sort out from David's book which BB tracks he plays on. If I've got it wrong (and it's been known to happen), no doubt Carrie M or AGD will set matters straight... 
AGD replies:  
DM plays on the entire Surfin' Safari album except "Surfin'". Vocals by David probably on "Summertime Blues" and possibly on "409", "County Fair", "Heads You Win, Tails I Lose" and "Chug-A-Lug". 
DM plays on the entire Surfin' USA album. No mention in the book about which tracks he sings on. 
On Surfer Girl David is credited with playing on the title track, "Little Deuce Coupe", "Our Car Club", "Catch A Wave", "Your Summer Dream" and "In My Room". Alan is mentioned in connection with "Surfers Rule" but Jardine may have played bass on it. No mention of vocals.
Of the new tracks for the Little Deuce Coupe album DM plays on "Be True To Your School" (and the single version), "Spirit Of America", "No Go Showboat", "Cherry Cherry Coupe" and "Ballad Of Ole Betsy".
He also seems to have played on "Things We Did Last Summer" which the BBs mimed to on The Red Skelton Show.

Carrie Marks replies:
You are correct about Surfin Safari (all tracks but Surfin') and Surfin USA (all tracks). David played on every track on Surfer Girl (Al played bass and sang on 4 tracks while David played guitar) and every song (uncredited in some cases) on Little Deuce Coupe except for A Young Man is Gone. 

In addition to the obvious album cuts, David also played on the filmed versions of the songs like One Man's Challenge version of Surfin' Safari, several Jan & Dean tracks, a couple of Gary Usher's and on several BB songs that ended up being held over for SD vol II (In the Parking lot - he believes) and the box set/Hawthorne/bonus tracks on the CD reissues such as Baker's Man, Punchline etc. 
Mark on "Wichboard"/"Beach Girl":

This tune was misappropriated by Dave Nowlen who lived with Brian as his roommate. He was part of the Survivors. Wichstand and Joyride cruise were written by Brian But not released. As I recall in an interview it was supposed to be the Survivors next single. Dave Nowlen then used the melody from Wichstand, I believe and recorded Beach Girl as his own though it really was Brian handiwork. Wichstand does exist as a demo despite denials from an alleged expert who denied it publicly on a thread back in the late 90 s. But he admitted it to me privately on the phone in the mid 80s. I recall making a note of it in my notebook. Such is the anal politics in some BB circles.
Mark on "I Do":

This packs a lot of punch and power it s my acetate
given to me by Chuck Girard. Tis a bit rough for 35
seconds than it clears up.  Brian produced the
superior Castells version on WB records with an added
organ on the 45 which was not added on the acetate.
You can hear the Here comes the Bride or wedding march
at the end. 
AGD's list of released covers (by the BBs):

1. Little Girl (You’re My Miss America)
2. Summertime Blues
3. Cindy, Oh Cindy
4. Misrlou
5. Honky Tonk
6. Let’s Go Trippin’
7. A Young Man Is Gone
8. Why Do Fools Fall in Love ?
9. Louie Louie
10. Hushabye
11. Frosty the Snowman
12. We Three Kings
13. Blue Christmas
14. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
15. White Christmas
16. I’ll Be Home For Christmas
17. Auld Lang Syne
18. The Lord’s Prayer
19. The Little Old Lady From Pasadena*
20. Long Tall Texan*
21. Monster Mash*
22. Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow*
23. The Wanderer*
24. Graduation Day*
25. Johnny B. Goode*
26. Do You Wanna Dance
27. I’m So Young
28. Then I Kissed Her
29. Hully Gully
30. I Should Have Known Better
31. Tell Me Why
32. Mountain Of Love
33. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
34. Devoted To You
35. Alley Oop
36. There’s No Other
37. The Times They Are A-Changin’
38. Barbara Ann
39. Sloop John B.
40. I was Made To Love her
41. Walk On By
42. Old Folks At Home/Old Man River
43. I Can Hear Music
44. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
45. Cottonfields
46. Student Demo Time [technically]
47. Rock & Roll Music
48. Chapel Of Love
49. Talk To Me/Tallahassie lassie
50. Palisades Park
51. A Casual Look
52. Blueberry Hill
53. In The Still Of The Night
54. Just Once In My Life
55. Come Go With Me
56. Peggy Sue
57. Shortenin’ Bread
58. School Day
59. Wipe Out
60. Hot Fun In The Summertime
61. One Summer Night
62. Remember Walking In The sand
63. Under The Boardwalk
64. Sea Cruise
65. With A Little Help From My Friends
66. The Letter
67. California Dreamin’
68. Runaway*
69. Crocodile Rock
70. Ruby Baby
71. Back In The USSR*
72. What I Say*
73. Little GTO
74. Happy Birthday*

[*]

NB - not sure if "Luau" qualifies as a cover, as I think the BB version was the first release. Likewise "Passing Friend" 

AGD: 
[*]Briefly...

Candix had been releasing singles since the mid-late 50s, thus 331 was the first release of "Surfin'" (proof - The Frogmens top 40 hit "Underwater", released in April 1961 was Candix 314) in November 1961 (dated by the Delta numbers). Apparently, it sold well, but when the Dix brothers went to the pressing plant for more, they were told to pay their bills, so to keep the demand for the single supplied, they went to another pressing plant and, because the original plant had all the labels, came up with the X name (allegedly becasue the kids would ask for 'that surfin song on the label with an X in it' - it's daft enough to be true). When the bill was paid and they could go back to using Candix, it appears that someone copied the wrong number, hence the third release, in January 1962, was on Candix 301. So, the releases were:

11/61 - Candix 331
12/61 - X 301
1/62 - Candix 301

It's actually even more complex than that and various distribution deals have a bearing, but essentially, that's how it was. The RCA intervention is a myth.
Dave Abbott:
Complex indeed Andrew!! I just came across this page on the web...

http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/candixnumbers.html

The fist part of which i have copied below (there is plenty more on the web page!). It has information from the 'horses mouth'!, so to speak i.e. from the Dix brothers (Candix). For all vinyladdicts it is a fascinating read as it lists the differences between each issue, matrix numbers etc - and even for none vinylists it is still fascinating for the complexities (as Andrew states) of the release of the first BB's single - Great stuff   

============================

By Phlip (Phlip) on Thursday, January 3, 2002 - 01:54 pm: 
I am attempting to determine the relative rarity (and value) of the various versions of the record “Surfin’” b/w “Luau” manufactured circa 1961. 

According to Stephen McParland in his book “Our Favourite Recording Sessions,” there were three distinctly separate pressings/matrix designations, and FIVE distinctly separate labels: 

MATRIX: 

1. CD-TS-1 (“Surfin’”) b/w CD-TS-2 (“Luau”); 
2. CD-TS-1-R (“Surfin’”) b/w CD-TS-2-R (“Luau”); 
3. CD-TS-1R (“Surfin’”) b/w CD-TS-2R (“Luau”). 

NOTE: The Candix matrix designations indicate: 

CD=Candix Records 
TS=The Surfers (the name Candix originally intended to give to the 
Pendletones) 
1=side of the record 
R=reissue 

LABELS: 

1. “Candix 331” (matched with matrix #1) 
2. “X 301” (matched with matrix #2) 
3. “Candix 301” (matched with matrix #2) 
4. “Candix 301” (matched with matrix #3) 
5. “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Record Sales” (matched with matrix #3). 

1. “Candix 331” was the first pressing (first version). There was apparently a problem with the pressing plant getting paid. 

2. “X 301” was one of two things: EITHER a Hite Morgan label, created after Murry Wilson naively gave the master to Candix (resulting in the manufacture of Candix 331), OR an attempt by the Dix brothers (the owners of Candix) to hide the identity of the label from the first pressing plant; 

3. “Candix 301” was (apparently) the one and only time Candix reissued a previously-used catalogue number, probably to keep the same number as the one used on the previously-manufactured “X 301.” A number of sources show the release date of “Candix 301” to be Friday, December 8, 1961. So 
then “X 301” (and probably “Candix 331” as well) MUST have been manufactured (and released) PRIOR to December 8th? 

4. Collectors books show “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Record Sales” to be the version released nationally, while Stephen McParland speculates that “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Records” was for release in the L. A. area, to show the local radio stations and record companies that Herb Newman’s money was now behind the record. So which was it? 

In my collector’s records books, the value of the various versions are ranked as follows: 

1. “X 301” (most rare/most valuable) 
2. “Candix 301” 
3. “Candix 331” 
4. “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Record Sales” least rare) 

NOTE: There is no distinction made between "Candix 301" with matrix #2, and "Candix 301" with matrix #3). 

Here are some questions: 

1. Since "Candix 331" was the “original” pressing of the record, how many copies would Candix have normally ordered? 

2. If “Candix 301” (with matrix #2) was “officially” released on December 8, 1961, then “X 301” and (probably) “Candix 331” had already been released. So was “X 301” released in November, and “Candix 331” in November (or maybe even October)? Or were none of the records "formally released" until the record was provided to KFWB on December 8? 

3. Was the "Battle of the Bands" won by "Surfin'" on December 9? Or December 16? 

4. How many copies of the pressing with the second matrix were manufactured, and what percentage of these received the “X 301” label, 
and what percentage received the “Candix 301” label? 

5. How many copies of the pressing with the third matrix were manufactured (probably a lot, since Herb Newman was now involved, and the record was certainly known to be a “hit” and ready for national distribution by this time), and what percentage of these received the “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Record Sales” label? 

Let’s try a survey... 

All of you who have a copy of “Surfin’” b/w “Luau” manufactured circa 1961, please check the record carefully for matrix and label, and determine which “version” you have. We’ll total it up, and find out at least which are the most rare amongst ourselves. 

Thanks in advance. 

By Brad on Thursday, January 3, 2002 - 10:48 pm: 
Phlip, 

A lot of the information Stephen included in his book came from me. I'm the one who figured out that "TS" stood for "The Surfers," and I'm the one who (working with Derek Bill) figured out that there were two different masterings of Candix 301 and that they matched up to the X and Era-distributed copies, respectively. Since I talked to Stephen, though, I've continued to research the Candix releases and have uncovered a considerable amount of additional information. 

A couple of points: 

- The X label was not a Hite Morgan label. I've talked to the Dix brothers (yes, they're still alive!) and it was their label, designed to get around the fact that their Candix label owed money to the pressing plant that handled Candix 331. The apparent reason the single needed to be repressed was that Candix had negotiated a distribution deal with a company called Alco Research and Engineering Inc. 

- Murry did not naively give the master of "Surfin'" to Candix. Hite Morgan was directly involved in the dealings with Candix. 

- The Candix 301 designation for the single seems to have come about when Candix negotiated a second distribution deal, with Pacific Record Distributors. After several months, Era Record Sales was brought in by Pacific, apparently to handle national distribution of the single (Pacific was primarily a local L.A. operation). The three parties (Candix, Pacific and Era) agreed that Era would operate under the terms of the contract that Pacific had with Candix. The "Era Record Sales" notation likely was added at that time to copies distributed nationally. 

A reasonable sequence of events looks like this: 

1. The record receives its first mastering (CD-TS-1 and CD-TS-2) for release as Candix 331, which is self-distributed by Candix. 

2. A distribution deal is negotiated with Alco. Unable to return to the pressing plant used for the first pressing, Candix remasters the single (CD-TS-1-R and CD-TS-2-R) for a new pressing, to be released as X 301. 

3. Candix arranges a distribution deal with Pacific Record Sales and uses the same plates from the Alco remastering to press discs to be sold by Pacific. The new pressings again carry the Candix label (the bill with the original plant presumably having been paid), but are numbered 301 to retain conformity with the X release. 

4. At some point, the plates either wear out or break. A second remastering is done (CD-TS-1R and CD-TS-2R), which is used to press more copies of Candix 301. 

5. Era assumes national distribution of the single, and the notation "Dist. by Era Record Sales" is added to the copies Era will distribute. 

Now, to try and answer your questions ... 

** 1. Since "Candix 331" was the “original” pressing of the record, how many copies would Candix have normally ordered? ** 

The Dix brothers no longer have those kind of detailed records, but their recollection is that they sold 12,000 copies of Candix 331. 

** 2. If "Candix 301" (with matrix #2) was "officially" released on December 8, 1961, then "X 301" and (probably) "Candix 331" had already been released. So was "X 301" released in November, and "Candix 331" in November (or maybe even October)? Or were none of the records "formally released" until the record was provided to KFWB on December 8? ** 

Based on information provided by the Dix brothers, the Dec. 8 release date probably should be attached to Candix 331. The best date I can put on X 301 is Dec. 19, which is the date on a telegram confirming the deal between Candix and Alco for the latter to distribute "Surfin'" on the X label. Realistically, though, it's doubtful that copies would have been available the same day as the deal was reached, so figure it would have been at least several days later. 

Strangely, the deal with Alco seems to have fallen apart very quickly, because a new distribution deal with Pacific was negotiated and signed before the end of the year. Era assumed national distribution beginning in early February 1962. 

** 3. Was the "Battle of the Bands" won by "Surfin'" on December 9? Or December 16? ** 

I really have no documentary evidence, but if 12,000 copies of Candix 331 were sold before X 301 was issued, then I'd lean very heavily toward Dec. 9 as the date of the "Battle of the Bands." That would allow more than just a couple of days for the record to sell that many copies. 

** 4. How many copies of the pressing with the second matrix were manufactured, and what percentage of these received the “X 301” label, 
and what percentage received the “Candix 301” label? ** 

Given the very short duration of the deal with Alco, it's reasonable to assume that there were very few copies of X 301 pressed and sold. 

I can't break down the Candix 301 sales by mastering, but by June 1962, Pacific had sold a total of 33,000 copies of Candix 301 (some would be the second mastering, some the third). 

** 5. How many copies of the pressing with the third matrix were manufactured (probably a lot, since Herb Newman was now involved, and the record was certainly known to be a “hit” and ready for national distribution by this time), and what percentage of these received the “Candix 301 - Dist. by Era Record Sales” label? ** 

That information doesn't seem to be available any more. None of the documents still in the possession of the Dix Brothers show sales numbers from Era. However, based upon my 25+ years of collecting, I think there are a lot less Era-distributed copies than you might think. Copies of Candix 301 with the Era notation are a LOT rarer than those without! 

In conclusion, this is how I see the various issues of "Surfin'" in terms of rarity and desirability: 

1. X 301 (Without a doubt, this is the rarest of the various issues. Even though we now know it wasn't the original pressing, there's still quite a mystique around it in collectors' circles, so I don't think it's going to fall from the top spot any time soon.) 

2. Candix 331 (Although there apparently were 12,000 copies sold, most have not survived. This actually is a very rare record today and doesn't turn up often. However, because it wrongly has been believed to be the last of the various issues, it hasn't commanded any attention. Now that the truth is known, I expect the value and desirability of this issue to soar.) 

3. Candix 301, with "Era Record Sales" notation (This seems to be a lot harder to find than regular copies of Candix 301 without the notation.) 

4. Candix 301, without the "Era" notation (This issue sold at least 33,000 copies and is by far the most common of the various Candix/X releases.) 

I hope that helps. There's still a lot we don't know, but we're learning more nearly every day.
From internet interview with Wally Waller (Fenmen, Pretty  Things):
We [The Fenmen post-Bern Elliott] covered a couple of songs. While we were still with Decca we did "Rag Doll", we covered it in this country. We didn't come anywhere near the Four Seasons version; they took the market easily. We left Decca and went to CBS and we did "California Dreamin'" with a guy who professed to be somebody who recorded the Beach Boys once -- a guy called Jim Economides. I've looked through records and I can't see his name anywhere. (Economides was a Capitol house producer and Gary Usher sidekick - interviewer Mike Stax) 
Mark on "Malibu Sunset" ("Brian and Gary Usher for sure"):
It was actually issued in the early 70s on the Ode label under Jan Berry This was a demo cut from Brian's back up vocals. But it was officially released. I have this song.

Mark on "Thank Him (For Our Love)":
Same time period as Bob & Sheri-The Surfer Moon. It s a theory but I believe it was written for Bob & Sheri expressing their gratitude to another and thanking the Lord for the Love they share. Because of
the religious nature it was no doubt debunked by stuffy execs responsible for airplay. This is from an acetate issued only. Chances are it is Brian and Bob Norberg. We know it s Brian for sure who wrote it and sang it. But there s someone else in there as well.

Mark on "Don't You Just Know It": 
Jan and Brian.

Mark on "Waikiki":
Credited to Usher & christian But when you hear it I go that sure sounds like a Brian to me.

Mark on The Sunsets' "Playmate Of The Year": 
I have an old tape of Andy paley stuff so whether I have them or not I need an upgrade anyway. Usher wrote it solo and It came before Pamela Jean. Just maybe Brian wrote the melody They were living together for several months in 63. A raw more garage version taken from the sessions with Andy Paley.

Mark on Frankie Avalon's "Running Wild":
From the movie Muscle beach party It s the only place
you can get it from the DVD Movie. Frankie manages to
keep up with this fast uptempo rocker.  Brian wrote
and prod it.
And:
Brian may have nothing to do with it. It's Gary Usher
from the Ski Party movie. But that instrumental break
gives me reason to pause.

Mark on Dick Dale's "Wild Wild Mustang":
Credited it to Gary Paxton. Just maybe Brian who was
producing Dick Dale for Muscle Beach Party at the same
time may have helped on Wild Wild Mustang I think so. 

Mark on The Superstock's "Surfers Holiday":
Chuck Girard and Gary Usher
AGD: "'Witch Stand" is a Survivors recording, not a BB one. August 5th, 1963, at Western.
AGD: An acapella BB version of "GV" is (currently) impossible as the vocal multitracks went missing shortly after Brian mixed down the mono 45 master. Bruce is of the opinion that they were literally thrown out durning a 'spring cleaning' at Columbia in early 1967. If not, they've been mislabelled or misplaced. This is also the reason that no true stereo version of "GV" is possible.
AGD: 
1994: Christie's auction house in New York City holds their first ever auction of rock memorabilia, including the Beach Boys' guitars, a stage outfit worn by Jimi Hendrix, and John Lennon's famous Army fatigues.

Found it!!! It did take me more than an hour though... blink.gif

He was a DJ called Bill "Daddy-O" Hesterman who was a friend of Murry's and heavily promoted the BBs in Utah, where he was general manager of KNAK Radio in the 1950s and '60s.

Quoting from a now-missing article, "He even toured Europe with them and wound up on one of their album covers (a European release), posing in front of his own Land Cruiser at Saltair". Click here for info on Saltair Pavilion.

He died in 1996.
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Sat May 16, 2020 4:11 pm
untitled Charles Manson album
recorded ?early 1969
produced by Brian & Carl Wilson

Although the band have frequently - and strenuously - denied the existence of any such project, the fact is that Brian and Carl  - and not Dennis, as has often been stated - co-produced several tracks for Charles Manson at Brian's home studio in the Bellagio Road house: according to Manson himself, "we did a pretty fair session, putting down about ten songs". Steve Desper, who engineered the session, concurred, considering that some of the material was "pretty good... he had musical talent". Again, contrary to percieved BB history, these were not demos but completed songs - or as completed as Charlie wanted. Reportedly he rarely took more than one pass at a vocal. What titles were recorded isn't known, but it's a safe enough supposition that the songs that later appeared on the Lie album (released after Manson's arrest but recorded in 1968/69) numbered amongst them. The tracks on that album were: "Look At Your Game Girl/Ego/I Am A Mechanical Man/People Say I'm No Good/Home Is Where You're Happy/Arkansas/Always Is Always Forever/Garbage Dump/Don't Do Anything Illegal/Sick City/Cease To Exist/Clang Bang Clang/I Once Knew A Man/Eyes Of The Dreamer". Very important point - the songs on the Lie album are not the Bellagio recordings.
Possibility of release: not a hope in hell.

http://bellagio10452.com/unreleased.html
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat May 16, 2020 10:44 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:The tracks on that album were: "Look At Your Game Girl/Ego/I Am A Mechanical Man/People Say I'm No Good/Home Is Where You're Happy/Arkansas/Always Is Always Forever/Garbage Dump/Don't Do Anything Illegal/Sick City/Cease To Exist/Clang Bang Clang/I Once Knew A Man/Eyes Of The Dreamer". Very important point - the songs on the Lie album are not the Bellagio recordings.

Now that's a coincidence! Donny Lang posted his sunshine pop version of "HIWYH" at Smiley just the other day. 

The YouTube blurb reads: "Performed by Magic Hero vs. Rock People. From the album Great Gondolas Calling. We wondered what this song might have sounded like if produced by Brian Wilson and recorded in Los Angeles, 1968." 

See the link below for more details. DL added at Smiley that they used a Rock-Si-Chord on "HIWYH" (one of three Manson covers on the album).     

https://www.discogs.com/Magic-Hero-Vs-Rock-People-Great-Gondolas-Calling/release/13889744
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Mon May 18, 2020 5:52 pm
Mr. K wrote:
Cool Cool Water wrote:The tracks on that album were: "Look At Your Game Girl/Ego/I Am A Mechanical Man/People Say I'm No Good/Home Is Where You're Happy/Arkansas/Always Is Always Forever/Garbage Dump/Don't Do Anything Illegal/Sick City/Cease To Exist/Clang Bang Clang/I Once Knew A Man/Eyes Of The Dreamer". Very important point - the songs on the Lie album are not the Bellagio recordings.

Now that's a coincidence! Donny Lang posted his sunshine pop version of "HIWYH" at Smiley just the other day. 

Thanks for sharing that, John. A catchy tune.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum