THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature Empty DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature

Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:27 pm
RhondaLuvsAlan to some, CherokeeRose and/or DarkGothicQueen to others, DJ, whether as a poster or as a moderator (who threatened to ban me from the Internet on more than one occasion), was someone to be reckoned with. A force of nature, if you like. It is so, so strange to know that she has gone for ever...

In one of our earliest communications -- I suspect a PM at the Capitol Board -- DJ told me that when she arrived in heaven, she was going to kick the asses of two people: Aristotle (I never did find out why!) and the man who invented money. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes right now.

I'm bound to have more to say about DJ in due course -- we lived in each other's cyber-pockets for well over a decade -- but so, perhaps, have you. Please feel free to speak -- either here or in a new topic of your own.
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature Empty Re: DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature

Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:55 pm
I watched these two videos last night and they instantly reminded me of DJ. I dedicate this post to her.

The first was "5 Darkest Cases Of REAL Life Vampires Throughout History..." DJ was a big fan of spooky related cases, vampires and would of enjoyed watching that.

The second video was my own MR footage from March this year. Preferably at 4:28 where I film the duck floating down stream. DJ told me she loved that part.

Mr. K likes this post

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature Empty Re: DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:21 pm
In early 2010, DJ introduced me to the music of U2. After a rocky start--I'd said I thought all their stuff sounded the same, which did not go down well--I became a serious fan and bought all their studio albums. "Electrical Storm" was DJ's favourite U2 track: 

Rest in peace, my friend. I hope the pain you felt day and night has gone away for good.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:26 pm
DJ got a great kick out of the TV series Sherlock, as did I. She once sent me this poster--exactly when is lost in the mists of time. It now hangs in our garage, where hopefully it will scare the shit out of anyone trying to break in there. Jim Moriarty's quote can be heard in the video below (at 2:10). Even in her last years, spent as they were in constant pain, DJ retained her wicked sense of humour. 

DarkGothicQueen -- a force of nature 714wWWfWI9L._AC_SL1500_
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:34 pm
Rhonda Luvs Allan died? she was prolly my favorite person over at the old BB board and since i joined back up here i had been hoping she would be back but apparently she won't since she passed away i always adored her and just loved talking to her. which is why when the board changed over and she wasn't here i was thinking what the hell? oh well i guess well i do hope she's no longer suffering. how old was she anyways?
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:15 pm
smileysmile42 wrote:Rhonda Luvs Allan died? she was prolly my favorite person over at the old BB board and since i joined back up here i had been hoping she would be back but apparently she won't since she passed away i always adored her and just loved talking to her. which is why when the board changed over and she wasn't here i was thinking what the hell?  oh well i guess well i do hope she's no longer suffering. how old was she anyways?

Don, she was here -- as DarkGothicQueen. It struck me just this minute that it's logical that you wouldn't have known that, as you weren't around when we left our previous home in early 2018. But I have to be honest with you now -- I'm so sorry.  

Well let's say she died before her time. 

She started moderating at this new setup as CherokeeRose but later changed it to DGQ. I only learned why the other day while going through our email correspondence. "Cherokee Rose" was a Walking Dead reference and she must have changed names when she became disillusioned with the way the series was going, what with some of the most popular characters being needlessly killed off. She then began writing the fan fiction linked in my signature (her author's name was DJ Marlowe).
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:29 am
yeah i had no idea she even was here i wish i had known i would have send some PM"s towards her. i only kept my screen name only changing the age really so you'd know who i was.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:58 pm
I don't know if anyone here realizes what a prolific and accomplished writer DJ was. She wrote much more than the fan fiction linked below. 

You can read my review of her as yet unperformed Beach Boys musical Surf's Up! in the "Creativity" section of the forum (see "A Creative Miscellany"). It was the first work of hers that I read and copy edited back in 2010. 

I hope at least some of her work gets published in time. It's just so sad she won't be around to see that day.
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:13 am
i didn't know her well enough for her to tell me she was a writer to be honest
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:46 pm
Bit of a trip down Memory Lane this. Back in 2014, when DGQ was still RLA, she posted briefly at the Electric Sandbox run by Cindy, who herself used to post regularly at our previous home:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/electricsandbox/nanu-nanu-t1444.html?amp=1

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/electricsandbox/budgies-t1495.html
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 am
This is a paragraph from an email DJ sent me on 22 November 2010. Some things never change -- wise words, as always:

"There must be some bug going around the world. Some of my relatives have been complaining about something.  Some friends too.  If it`s airborne I`m out of luck, but I watch what I touch and wash my hands a lot after being out in public or someone else`s house. It prevents a lot of diseases.  I don`t bother with that flu shot.  Hand washing is the best thing a person can do."
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:54 pm
was there a virus going on back than? i honestly don't even remember
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:07 pm
smileysmile42 wrote:was there a virus going on back than? i honestly don't even remember

Don, I found this, dating from 11 August 2010: 

"The U.S. 2010-2011 seasonal influenza vaccinewill protect against an H3N2 virus, an influenza B virus, and the 2009 H1N1 [swine flu] virus that emerged last year to cause the first global pandemic in more than 40 years and resulted in substantial illness, hospitalizations and deaths." 

This must have been the "flu shot" DJ was talking about not bothering with. (The pandemic seems to have been over by then.)
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am
i know it was from back 2010 but we've had a few different kinds of virus's since than there was that one a couple years back that went to like 2 or 3 states and than went away, remember that nurse here in the states which i know you don't live, but she had this virus and than went out running or something and got flack for it. she had to be in Qurrantine for like i think a month sorry about my bad spelling lol.

Mr. K likes this post

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:17 am
I've just returned from a week's holiday on an island north of NL, where ten years ago I sent DJ the first of many picture postcards. I ended its brief message with a quote from U2's "One Tree Hill":

"Run to the ocean
Run to the sea"

Ironically, that song is also about a friend who died (see link):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Tree_Hill_(song)
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:48 pm
This post I dedicate to the late DJ. She would of approved and so do I. 

Mr. K likes this post

BobLucas
BobLucas
Admin
Admin
https://thebeachboysforum.forumotion.com

Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:20 pm
Messing about on the piano just now, I have a memory of an exchange with DJ at some point last year. We both shared a soft spot for Ragtime. She had an aunt who was a ragtime pianist in her day (I think it was an aunt.. I can’t hear thunder crashing outside, so I’m confident I got that right) and DJ was always complimentary towards my little piano noodlings on Facebook.
It was one of the things which was so great about her; you never knew when you’d do something to pique her interest and she’d pop up on something you’d never expect her to.

Mr. K likes this post

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:49 am
BobLucas wrote:Messing about on the piano just now, I have a memory of an exchange with DJ at some point last year. We both shared a soft spot for Ragtime. She had an aunt who was a ragtime pianist in her day (I think it was an aunt.. I can’t hear thunder crashing outside, so I’m confident I got that right) and DJ was always complimentary towards my little piano noodlings on Facebook.
It was one of the things which was so great about her; you never knew when you’d do something to pique her interest and she’d pop up on something you’d never expect her to.

That happened in Rich's travel thread too -- she'd jump in about something small that had caught her eye. She had a wonderfully agile and inquiring mind.     

And you did get it right, Bob. This is from an email she sent me years ago:

"I had an aunt who was quite the pianist. As a teenager she accompanied silent movies. That would have been a treat to see."

Still greatly missed, that DJ. Sad

BobLucas likes this post

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 pm
DJ would of enjoyed this new upload. Right up here street! I am sure she'll watch from above.  queen  

Mr. K likes this post

smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:29 am
she might be you know her far better than I
AshleyMiranda
AshleyMiranda
http://www.instagram.com/i.am.ashleymiranda

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm
I'm so sorry to hear she passed away Sad
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:29 pm
AshleyMiranda wrote:I'm so sorry to hear she passed away Sad

Thank you, Ashley. I still find it hard to believe.

The one consolation is that she had been in constant pain during the last few years (she suffered from diabetic neuropathy) and it was only going to get worse. She once told me she didn't want to reach 60 for that reason. Well, her wish has been granted. I hope the pain has left her, wherever she is now. I really miss her humour and her wise words...

I hope you and yours are keeping safe and well, A, in these ridiculous times.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:09 pm
Today, after winging its way from Kansas to a Dutch sorting centre and then repeating that journey (I know, it's hard to believe!), it finally arrived at my door: a package containing the cookbook DJ had compiled of recipes from relatives past and present, which I had copy edited. It was a limited edition for relatives only -- home publishing is hard work! --- and my copy was for services rendered. The book was unanimously praised by its contributors/recipients.

It's wonderful that DJ was able to enjoy the accolades for this and her online Walking Dead re-writes (see upper link in my signature).

May she rest in peace.      

Cool Cool Water likes this post

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:37 pm
For DJ.

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:04 am
DJ would have turned 60 today. She once told me she hoped she wouldn't reach that age, as by then her diabetic neuropathy would have become unbearable. That her wish came true is the only consolation brought by her passing.

This gorgeous Enya tune was on an album she recommended to me back in early 2010. I was given The Memory of Trees for my birthday, at a time when I couldn't handle this powerful new friendship and had said goodbye to her. (Happily this foolish state of affairs was not to last long.) That day I had to leave the room while it played. And it's tearing me up again now. Goodbye, dear DJ.  

Cool Cool Water likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum