THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

The Dark Shadows Discussion Topic Empty The Dark Shadows Discussion Topic

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:26 pm
Like the old TV series Dark Shadows from the 1960`s? Post your comments, videos, etc. here!
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

The Dark Shadows Discussion Topic Empty Re: The Dark Shadows Discussion Topic

Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:38 pm
To kick things off, here are three posts that were made elsewhere but that really belong here. 

First off, SmileySmile42, on Sat 15 Feb 2020--17:16: 

Dark Shadows is my 2nd favorite show of all time with Lost In Space being the 1st. and he was just such a good actor, if anyone is wondering and still watches it like i do i have the entire series on dvd in fact going back to episode #1 to episode #1245. and i dunno how big of fans you guys and gals are on here but the reason you see certain actors not on the show for so long like John Karlen or Joan Bennet once their characters were killed outside of present day. or Sent of to Wincliff like Willie was for awhile is cause they were off doing plays actually. 

when LIz Stoddard died though she later didn't she was off doing plays, but when Barnabas was chained into his coffin in (1969) for a great awhlie and wasn't on the show at all except for the shot they did of the coffin with chains on it, he was filming the 1st Dark Shadows film. i've never seen Cagney & Lacey actually but i hear in the Pilot it's got a different lead i forget which one isn't in the Pilot but it's suppose to be really different and still pretty damn good

Next, DarkGothicQueen, on Sun 16 Feb 2020--14:52:   

Hi Don! Good to see that you have found us. I`m a huge DS fan and have the coffin box DVD collection of the entire series. I`ve also written some unpublished fan fiction using the characters from the 1960`s original. I have both movies on DVD.

And lastly, SmileySmile42, on Sun 16 Feb 2020--16:19:

some of them here know me going back to the Capital boards back in the day i can't remember if you were there were you? i don't have the box set like you do is yours one of the signed ones by Jonathon Frid? my collection is the 1st edition dvd sets that Originally came out, the re-releases i thought about getting the ones i need in those ugly covers but than i thought i want all of them to match. in (2004) i got my 1st set Volume #1 of course and last year i finally got tired of needing the last 3 sets which were Beginning's Vol 4-6. currently i'm up to i think it was episode #91 i believe. currently i'm taking a break from it as i got burnt out a bit i think. there's a site that was fan fiction i dunno if it still is around but it continued on from where the show left off and i always hoped i could find a way to read some of it off my PC. i love the show i also am the first to say that they had some really bad choices for cast members. Chris Jenning's as a vampire was simply painfully awfully acted or was it his brother i forget? you had Nancy Barrett who was brilliant on the show except when she was scared that's not her strength at all. Grayson Hall who was fantastic as well but when you had her scared she was simply awful. 

i don't blame them at all it's how they were directed, see Lela Swift i dunno about the other directors used to grade them on how far they could take it and they would direct them to over do it and it really was a bad way to direct because if you want your actors do good performances you have to help them get there, in a show like DS in Rehearsal talk with them and since they normally only did one take since it was so expensive back than to do more but it did happen of course. some of them were always good or 99% of the time were good like Louis Edmonds he was fantastic but there were times when he was a little flat, Joan Bennet even at times was as well. but it's funny how you have a guy like Christopher Pennock spelling? who is dreadful as Jeb but than he played another character like his dr. jekyll and mr. hyde character and he was brilliant as hyde. go figure ya know? than there's certain cast members that were cast later on that was just painful to watch and when they were killed off i was thrilled well each time i get around to that storyline arc wrap up. 

my favorite timeline was main timeline. as much as i love the show i think they got carried away with the alternate time lines and the time travel as well. i love the 1897 timeline don't get me wrong but it lasted far far to long. i believe it's 8 and a half months! really it was gonna be i think 3 months but it was such a hit they got carried away and made it for nearly an entire year. than you have Vicki Winters who starts out as a pretty strong character and gets dumbed down for some reason. she also got dumber for some reason too, in the audio plays apparently it's revealed she is Liz's Daughter. my question is simply if that is true 

she would of course would have been born my guess the same year it's actress was 1945. now Roger may have been way at college to take a guess but how can he not know she was preggers? he never mentions it on the show at all weather it was to Vicki or Liz. there was no doubt he would have come home at times and seen her pregnant at some point. was her Father also Paul Stoddard ? that i have no idea and he or Jason McGuire never mention it at all. but than McGuire may not have known if he didn't show up until later as in she already had given her up, it's funny people had asked Dan Curtis what the plan was had they not got rid of that storyline of who her folks actually were and he never gave an honest answer. there has to be records of what was planned at least but dropped when when Alexandra isle's left the show in late (1968) 
don't you think?
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:33 pm
Sad to report the death of music composer Robert Cobert who did all the original music for Dark Shadows TV show as well as the main theme. He made the Gothic horror aspect of the show truly come alive. Here are some samples of his music from the show. RIP,  sir.

Opening Theme

Quentin`s Theme: Shadows of the Night

Josette`s Music Box

Ode to Angelique

Back At The Blue Whale

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:49 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:Sad to report the death of music composer Robert Cobert who did all the original music for Dark Shadows TV show as well as the main theme. He made the Gothic horror aspect of the show truly come alive. Here are some samples of his music from the show. RIP,  sir.

A great shame, despite reaching the great age of 95. I found this playlist of DS music performed by The Robert Cobert Orchestra, which I shall play in his honour as my late night/early morning listening experience from tonight onwards:  

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD9A2F99FDCB0B033

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Cobert
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:46 am
Two movies were spawned from the series. House of Dark Shadows & Night of Dark Shadows. The two music soundtracks are a prime example of Robert Cobert`s compositions from the series since he used the themes from it for the movies. There are the playlists on YouTube. Just type in the title of each movie to find them. I can`t seem to link them for some reason.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:45 am
DarkGothicQueen wrote:Two movies were spawned from the series. House of Dark Shadows & Night of Dark Shadows. The two music soundtracks are a prime example of Robert Cobert`s compositions from the series since he used the themes from it for the movies. There are the playlists on YouTube. Just type in the title of each movie to find them. I can`t seem to link them for some reason.

Thanks for the tip, DGQ. I think I've managed to link them. I shall give them both a listen in the days to come. I very much enjoyed the series OST linked in my previous post. Timeless music, with occasional wise words from the cousin from England.  

House of Dark Shadows

Night of Dark Shadows
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:38 pm
Mr. K wrote:
DarkGothicQueen wrote:Two movies were spawned from the series. House of Dark Shadows & Night of Dark Shadows. The two music soundtracks are a prime example of Robert Cobert`s compositions from the series since he used the themes from it for the movies. There are the playlists on YouTube. Just type in the title of each movie to find them. I can`t seem to link them for some reason.

Thanks for the tip, DGQ. I think I've managed to link them. I shall give them both a listen in the days to come. I very much enjoyed the series OST linked in my previous post. Timeless music, with occasional wise words from the cousin from England.  

House of Dark Shadows

Night of Dark Shadows

Thanks! I can`t seem to get anything done with computer whatzits and stuff lately.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:03 am
Mr. K wrote:

House of Dark Shadows

Night of Dark Shadows

These are gorgeous! I'm at a stage in my work where I can have music playing, so I listened to both OSTs yesterday. Wink
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am
Mr. K wrote:
Mr. K wrote:

House of Dark Shadows

Night of Dark Shadows

These are gorgeous! I'm at a stage in my work where I can have music playing, so I listened to both OSTs yesterday. Wink

The movies came out in the early seventies. The music doesn`t sound dated at all. The CD I have contains both soundtracks and its one I relax to or play when I`m writing.
smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 am
thanks for posting that but the films aren't very good and it's not Dan Curtis's fault actually but the studio and the show i think was cancelled well for one cause they ran out of ideas and 2ndly is that the 1st film was gory and parents thought the show was actually like that so they forced them to stop watching and that well hurt the ratings

anyways check out the history for the films the behind the scenes stuff during the making of the 1st film Dan Curtis was forced to shorten both films actually.
i forget how long the 1st film actually was before it was cut but he was forced to edit a lot out in the 2nd film. in Darren Gross's fight to find the lost footage he found quite a lot of it actually but sadly he hasn't found any with actual dialog as that was lost. the film if you watch it really is a mess cause of the editing as it's poorly edited and you can tell stuff, important stuff that SHOULD be there is missing.

the 2nd one makes even less sense and that's because Dan Curtis was forced yet again to edit and he took out i'm not kidding you about 40 minutes of it. the released version was i think 90 minutes. but the Original version that he put together that was forced to cut was i'm not kidding you 130 minutes! that footage he actually did find and put it back in the film and it was shown in a theater when Johnathon Frid was still alive.

i think even Dan Curtis saw it too before he died too. but sadly it's never been released cause when they did do the blu-ray versions of it for when the Johnny Depp film came out in (2012) they didn't want to spent any money to remaster the films and so we got the crappy edited version of the 2nd film. one wonders what was actually cut ya know? i'm curious if that one did have nudity cause it was implied pretty strongly.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum