THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

The Ladykillers Empty The Ladykillers

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm
The Ladykillers Step0002

Okay guys, and as we've moved ship, old threads from the previous board have to be reborn.  No  Suspect  No

As many of you well know by now, I'm the guitar player, 2nd singer and songwriter in my Dads band The Ladykillers. We've been on CD's with the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson and are known in that scene/others well.

My Dad's been doing music since the late 70s and onwards. However, I joined the band back in 2007. It's been a fun ride from the radio shows worldwide, newspaper appearances, gigs round the UK, festivals in the UK and Los Angeles, having my own song go no.1 on the BBC, small TV appearances, building our own home studio, VIP's to Brian's and David Marks shows, featuring on CD's with them/many other legends, recording our debut album in our home studio with the best equipment available/mastering it all at Abbey Road and much more.

Moreover, we've have been on hiatus the past 3 years---but we will be back soon!  

Off the Rails - The Ladykillers --> Click this link to purchase via Amazon

Teetering On the Brink - The Ladykillers --> Click this link to purchase via Amazon

The Ladykillers Official Facebook Page --> Click this link to view

The Ladykillers Official YouTube Channel --> Click this link to view

#

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

The Ladykillers Empty Re: The Ladykillers

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:08 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Hey, the Ladykillers are in town! Here are my reviews of the lads' two first releases:

[ March 11th, 2011]

The Ladykillers' EP, Off the Rails, begins in fine style. Indeed, you might think on first hearing that with the opening song, "Captains Calling"----from the initial expectant keyboard chords to the driving main body of the song with its relentless tattoo by drummer Christopher Hickling and compelling lyrics to the bass-heavy climax-----the lads from Birmingham had shot their bolt. Not so. Three songs later and you're still on the edge of your seat. Interest doesn't flag for a moment, and not just because the tracks play without a break. Everywhere there are deft touches, such as the tolling bell announcing the shipwreck in the opening song and the accelerando from the playful opening section of track two, "Stay Happy", with lyrics about plasticine kittens and orange-peel shoes, to the more urgent second half. On track three, lead guitarist Richard Hickling ably takes over singing duties from dad Mark with a self-penned ode to romance gone wrong, "She Never Loved Me". There's a definite sixties feel here. Everything else was co-written by singer-keyboardist Mark Hickling and bassist Tom Wright and Rich's fresh approach at this point in the proceedings is another deft touch. The EP's closer, "Your Attention", begins innocently enough in waltz tempo until it switches to 4/4 and the distortion kicks in. Out come all the stops for the echo drenched climax and after the song is briefly put into reverse and stops dead in its tracks there's nothing else for it but to start all over again. Don't worry----Off the Rails stands up to repeated listening rather well. I should know.

[July 8th, 2014]

In for the Kill

There were four Ladykillers on their 2010 EP Off the Rails. Now they are five----ladies watch out. Newbie John Hall has taken over on keys, freeing front man and founding father Mark Hickling to concentrate on singing duties and occasionally scrape, bang or shake some item of percussion.

"Remind yourself
Believe in yourself
And don't edit yourself"

These are the opening words (indeed the only words of "Don't Edit Yourself"), amidst outer-space bleeps and whooshes, on the Birmingham band's long awaited first full-length album, Teetering on the Brink. But it's the guitar chords, high in the mix, that set the scene for what follows. Guitars preside over almost every track. Even the prim and proper "Great Ideas (Fade Away)" ends with a guitar snarl care of young Richard Hickling.

"The Artist" transports us straight back to the mid sixties, a time clearly close to the band's collective heart. This is thinking man's garage rock. Here as elsewhere there are suggestions of the West Coast band Love. Other names coming to mind throughout the album include The Byrds, early Floyd, even The Beta Band, but they are just suggestions----The Ladykillers are very much their own man.

And now, fellow terpsichoreans, take your partners for a waltz. "Great Ideas (Fade Away)" calls to mind Bruce Johnston's spooky piano in the fade of The Beach Boys' "Tears In The Morning". And that curious backward-sounding snare adds to the song's unsettling quality.

The gorgeous "Country Song" with its dulcimer-like progressions benefits from Hall's piano and is one of the album's more expansive tracks instrumentally, opening up nicely towards the end.

"Memories Of Her" is the album's standout song, the one that grabs you and doesn't let go. Tim Wright's slinky bass line, the unobtrusive organ, the spoken section, Rich's solo... it has all the makings of a classic.

The next track, "Housewives & Dogs", is one that still trips me up. That said, there's enough going on to hold the attention----the strange drone-fuelled break, the splintery guitar outing, the piano triplets... It's the quirkiest track on the album as well as being the most kaleidoscopic, and I have to say it's growing on me.

"Trouble Shooter" reveals the band's obvious love of Crosby, Stills and Nash's debut album----not that CS&Y ever twanged a Jew's harp, to say nothing of the occasional synth string line peeking in on the proceedings. But they do share an African connection, if my ears don't deceive me. (Refreshingly, there are no lyrics provided with the liner notes.)

Richard's brother Chris's drumming is impeccable throughout and on "Vimey Ridge" it manages to sound suitably warlike without degenerating into tattoos. This is the most moving song on Teetering, and not without reason----it's a real-life reflection on the horrors and uncertainties of the Great War. Robyn Hall reads a passage written by her great great grandmother to her husband at the front----how it all turned out is left up to the listener.

Who is "Carol Vorderman"? A UK TV personality, it transpires, who makes cat noises if this penultimate track is to believed. That aside, if this infectious song doesn't have you up on your feet, it's probably because you're writing about it.

"So goodbye everyone
The day is done
It's sleeping time for me
Sleeping time for me
And the sun"

"The Garden", the valedictory closer to this excellent album, resembles a hymn complete with church organ and a brief acapella passage----the only one on the album---before cutting loose in a double-tempo climax. Like Levon Helm on The Band's Stage Fright, drummer Chris has the last word. For now.
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 pm
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm
*Update

After being on hiatus for 3 years, other members doing side projects to good applaud-such as my brother in his band + myself taking off with my travel project MR, and having also lost contact with the bass player for the same amount of time. Myself and my Dad finally had a reunion/meeting last night with Tim to discuss The Ladykillers future and beyond.

The good news is we're going to continue The Ladykillers journey as a three piece to start being myself, Tim and my Dad (Mark). We've been in contact with the old drummer, Moggy, and he has agreed to do some dep work this year for us. John the keys player is all for still being a member and joining us on our new journey. However,. we're waiting on his final approval. My brother Chris is busy with his band, LCKD, but said he would help on drums here and there if or when we needed it.

We've set a date for April to get back into our home studio and dust off the cobwebs. This is something I have been looking forward to for a long time and can't wait to start playing music again!

The Ladykillers IMG_5485
Tim, Mark & myself last night at the LK meeting/reunion in 3 years
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:51 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:The good news is we're going to continue The Ladykillers journey as a three piece to start being myself, Tim and my Dad (Mark). We've been in contact with the old drummer, Moggy, and he has agreed to do some dep work this year for us. John the keys player is all for still being a member and joining us on our new journey. However,. we're waiting on his final approval. My brother Chris is busy with his band, LCKD, but said he would help on drums here and there if or when we needed it.

We've set a date for April to get back into our home studio and dust off the cobwebs. This is something I have been looking forward to for a long time and can't wait to start playing music again!

That's good to hear, Rich. I look forward to further news as it comes in.
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 pm
All my  best !!
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm
^^^
Thanks all! I will keep you updated the whole way as per.
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:55 pm
I haven't seen this footage in many years and I believe the person who filmed it was a fan (he never spoke to us directly though that night).

I don't think we sound that bad, lol, and it's pre John! Oh, how the years fly by!

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:31 pm
When my Dad wrote a song about Pet Sounds & Brian Wilson, late '90s.

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:03 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:When my Dad wrote a song about Pet Sounds & Brian Wilson, late '90s.

Man, that's beautiful. Wow--one of your best songs ever! The Ladykillers Rolleyes
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Mr. K wrote:
Cool Cool Water wrote:When my Dad wrote a song about Pet Sounds & Brian Wilson, late '90s.

Man, that's beautiful. Wow--one of your best songs ever! The Ladykillers Rolleyes

I'll pass on the compliments, John! Thanks! Cool
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 am
An animated video was done this week for the anniversary, including shots of the original letter our relative wrote on the battlefield. I am impressed.

'Least We Forget'.

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:54 am
Cool Cool Water wrote:An animated video was done this week for the anniversary, including shots of the original letter our relative wrote on the battlefield. I am impressed.

'Lest We Forget'.

Very moving, Rich.
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:11 pm
Mr. K wrote:Very moving, Rich.

Thanks!
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:59 pm
Rare!

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm
Wow! I haven't seen this in years/forget it existed!! A song my Dad wrote about his wife (my Mum). Jeffrey Foskett offered to sing backing harmonies on this song back in 2008 when we met him at the private David Marks show in Essex, London. Unfortunately it never came to be after many emails after once he was too tied into Brian's tour at the time...

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:37 pm
I have been having a nostalgic night tonight. I've been listening to LK EP 'Off The Rails' which was released back in 2011----8 years ago! Shocked

I haven't heard the songs from it in many years and I am still impressed. Not to big myself up or the rest the band. But the music still holds today. My Dad is away in Ireland this weekend, and if he heard it again, I'm sure he wouldn't like it!  Laughing  He never liked some of his vocal mixes on that EP if I recall, which Mig the sound producer of that record did. Personally I think they're bang on.

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:07 pm
A new video for "Help Is", titled "Help Is Coming Back", premieres is less than 8 minutes on YouTube via a channel called 2020 Productions.  

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:25 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:A new video for "Help Is", titled "Help Is Coming Back", premieres is less than 8 minutes on YouTube via a channel called 2020 Productions.  

Yay!!! I was the first person to watch it! Nice track there, Rich. I see it's from an old album called Whatever, from your pre-Cap Board days.
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:11 pm
Mr. K wrote:Yay!!! I was the first person to watch it! Nice track there, Rich. I see it's from an old album called Whatever, from your pre-Cap Board days.

Brilliant stuff and yes it was. The version they used features The Ladykillers from that time around 2004/2006;

Mark J Hickling - Vocals/Keys
Dave Cureton - Guitar
Paul Adams - Bass
Mike "Moggy" Lackner - Drums
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:Yay!!! I was the first person to watch it! Nice track there, Rich. I see it's from an old album called Whatever, from your pre-Cap Board days.

Brilliant stuff and yes it was. The version they used features The Ladykillers from that time around 2004/2006;

Mark J Hickling - Vocals/Keys
Dave Cureton - Guitar
Paul Adams - Bass
Mike "Moggy" Lackner - Drums

Thanks. Rich. I thought I only recognized your Dad! confused   
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:47 am
My Dad found this tape on Monday (20th) the start of this week. This all came about when he stumbled across his old mixing desk, a "Roland VS880 VXpanded", in the loft. The mixes were found on that desk and the tapes along side. This take 9 session of "Friends Friend" features my Dad on Keys/vocals and myself on guitar/vocals.

We both totally forgot about this session, and the song for that matter! The session I believe was recorded shorty after us coming back from L.A, after performing over there with The Ladykillers - summer 2011. Or it was done sometime in 2012. I can't pinpoint a date for the life of me! Although I can confirm the song was written in late August, 2011.

Anyway, we wanted to put this session on YT and 2020 Productions agreed to promote just this. A short video was done our end with the tapes and then sent over (note the muck-arounds date of the sessions at the start lol).

My Dad said jokingly when hearing it for the first time in some years; "It was like finding parts of the SMiLE tapes" lol,...

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:05 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:My Dad found this tape on Monday (20th) the start of this week. This all came about when he stumbled across his old mixing desk, a "Roland VS880 VXpanded", in the loft. The mixes were found on that desk and the tapes along side. This take 9 session of "Friends Friend" features my Dad on Keys/vocals and myself on guitar/vocals.

We both totally forgot about this session, and the song for that matter! The session I believe was recorded shorty after us coming back from L.A, after performing over there with The Ladykillers - summer 2011. Or it was done sometime in 2012. I can't pinpoint a date for the life of me! Although I can confirm the song was written in late August, 2011.

Anyway, we wanted to put this session on YT and 2020 Productions agreed to promote just this. A short video was done our end with the tapes and then sent over (note the muck-arounds date of the sessions at the start lol).

My Dad said jokingly when hearing it for the first time in some years; "It was like finding parts of the SMiLE tapes" lol,...

Lovely track, Rich. Nice textures in there, and cool harmonies. It has a whiff of Syd Barrett about it (which can't be bad Wink ). 
Good old 2020 Productions for running with it! jocolor
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:08 pm
Mr. K wrote:Lovely track, Rich. Nice textures in there, and cool harmonies. It has a whiff of Syd Barrett about it (which can't be bad Wink ). 
Good old 2020 Productions for running with it! jocolor

The guitar was done in sections on that track, and was then bounced down from a Tascam reel to reel to the Roland desk. Hence why it has a warm sound to it. I believe I recorded 4/5 individual parts of guitar for that song. Also, notice one of the guitars from 3:21 on-wards. Heavy reverb, with thanks to Jeff Foskett who told us what levels to use for that sound.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum