THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally - Page 2 Empty Re: The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:06 am
Weren`t around for very long, but I LOVED their album.

'Love Missile F1-11'---Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally - Page 2 Empty Re: The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:09 am
DarkGothicQueen wrote:Weren`t around for very long, but I LOVED their album.

'Love Missile F1-11'---Sigue Sigue Sputnik

Ha yes I remember them from a live performance on TOTP. Wonderfully outrageous stuff. The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally - Page 2 Biggrin

DGQ, was that Flaunt It, their first album? The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally - Page 2 Mellow
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:31 pm
Mr. K wrote:

DGQ, was that Flaunt It, their first album? The 1980`s: Like, Grody to the Max, Dude, I`m Sure, Totally - Page 2 Mellow

Yes, I have it buried somewhere on a cassette. lol!
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat May 04, 2019 11:06 pm
As promised, this is "To Turn You On" from Avalon. I love the harmonic progression from the beginning of the solo to the start of the next verse. Those chords seem to take you far away until Ferry's re-entry jolts you back into reality. But the entire track is magical. drunken

Last edited by Mr. K on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 am
T'Pau has been a common answer in our local paper's daily crossword puzzle for quite a while now (the clue being "China In Your Hand") but I only gave them a listen yesterday. Interesting voice Carol Decker has--I rather like this.     

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%27Pau_(band) 
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 pm
This evening I've been enjoying a glass (or two) of white wine and listening to Roxy Music's Avalon, a magic album. It was triggered by seeing (for the third or fourth time) Bill Murray's karaoke performance of "More Than This" in Lost in Translation. But it's all good stuff. This is the title track (that's Yanick Etienne letting rip in the tag):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon_(Roxy_Music_album)
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:00 pm
A Talk Talk topic at Hoffman asked posters to list this band's albums in order of preference. It's My Life somehow ended up at the bottom of my list, much to the OP's dismay (and disbelief). So I played it through again this evening--and loved it. "Such A Shame" was the album's big hit in Europe. (I'd never seen the disarming video before.) R.I.P., Mark Hollis.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_My_Life_(album) 
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:47 pm
Someone around here rejoined Smiley.

'Welcome To The Jungle'---Guns 'N' Roses

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 am
DarkGothicQueen wrote:Someone around here rejoined Smiley.

'Welcome To The Jungle'---Guns 'N' Roses

Maybe he thinks he's "King Of The Jungle". king 

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Following my Yugoslavian music adventure, YouTube is now dishing me up stuff from Russia and thereabouts. Having visited the Baltic States, I was intrigued to find this pair of cover versions of songs I really like, "You Might Need Somebody" (here called Keegi) and "Jump To The Beat" (Meid Kaasa Muusika Viib), recorded in Tallinn in 1981 by Elektra, four Estonian ladies plus tight band (love that bass!). Lovely stuff.

http://www.frotee.net/en/record/43-elektra-keegi-2
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:34 pm
I was reminded of this song today. I last heard it in late June last year, at the point of taking the train back from Cornwall to NL. "She Drives Me Crazy" topped the US charts in April 1989:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine_Young_Cannibals
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:33 pm
With thanks to beachcat at Smiley for introducing me to "Obsession" by Animotion. Lovely stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animotion
BobLucas
BobLucas
Admin
Admin
https://thebeachboysforum.forumotion.com

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:18 pm
I've been in love with this for a while. I don't speak any Russian and my knowledge of Soviet era Synthpop is next to nothing, this came up by chance on YouTube a while back and I like the melody.. Also, I'd love to be able to come up with a synth sound like the airy, whispery kind of bell sound in the intro!
I do find it strange as a western viewer long after the fact how bleak everything is!

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:17 pm
BobLucas wrote:I've been in love with this for a while. I don't speak any Russian and my knowledge of Soviet era Synthpop is next to nothing, this came up by chance on YouTube a while back and I like the melody.. Also, I'd love to be able to come up with a synth sound like the airy, whispery kind of bell sound in the intro!
I do find it strange as a western viewer long after the fact how bleak everything is!

Bob, that is amazing!!! I myself discovered this very video around the time we visited St. Petersburg last October! I watched it every day for weeks, maybe months!
A commenter somewhere said that each band member seems to come from a different genre and a different era. geek 

The audience is equally fascinating, particularly the young guy singing along! Makes you wonder what became of everyone in the video...

I have a thread of Yugoslav '80s stuff in this section, which may be of interest to you. Well well, what a turn-up for the book!
BobLucas
BobLucas
Admin
Admin
https://thebeachboysforum.forumotion.com

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:35 pm
Mr. K wrote:

Bob, that is amazing!!! I myself discovered this very video around the time we visited St. Petersburg last October! I watched it every day for weeks, maybe months!
A commenter somewhere said that each band member seems to come from a different genre and a different era. geek 

The audience is equally fascinating, particularly the young guy singing along! Makes you wonder what became of everyone in the video...

I have a thread of Yugoslav '80s stuff in this section, which may be of interest to you. Well well, what a turn-up for the book!

What are the odds of that?! Although, by what I can tell, it was a very big song at the time.
The audience is the most fascinating part of the video. Typical of a lot of soviet era footage I've seen, I always find something strangely sad about it.
I did see your Yugoslav 80's thread which I fully intend to investigate!

Mr. K likes this post

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:00 am
BobLucas wrote:I've been in love with this for a while. I don't speak any Russian and my knowledge of Soviet era Synthpop is next to nothing, this came up by chance on YouTube a while back and I like the melody.. Also, I'd love to be able to come up with a synth sound like the airy, whispery kind of bell sound in the intro!

There's a curious sequel to this story. The enthusiastic young man in the audience and his three friends themselves comprised an all-synthesizer band (possibly Russia's first) called Bioconstructor. From that same year (1987), this is "Teleturizm". The end credits identify him as Aleksander Yakovlev, who fronts a follow-up band, Bio, to this day.

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum