THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF    Empty Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm
In a field of one, this duo (Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty) deserves a topic of its own. Before
I start posting songs, this is a "KLF library" I discovered yesterday. It's not for the faint of heart:

http://www.libraryofmu.net

A safer place to start is The KLF's wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_KLF
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF    Empty Re: Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:12 pm
This was my introduction to The KLF. They had the habit of releasing umpteen versions of everything.
This is "3 A.M. Eternal" in the "Guns Of Mu Mu" version. It was on a comp my son had in the early '90s.

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF    Empty Re: Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 pm
My next and most unusual earful of their music was in the early '90s, when we
found ourselves in Norway. There was this party going on on an island across
from our camp site and one of the records they were blasting out was this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Train_to_Trancentral

Last edited by Mr. K on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:01 pm
The above track began life in 1989 in a Pure Trance version.
I could listen to those synth and string lines all day!

"The original version of 'Last Train To Trancentral' released in 1989. I have been told by a few that this
is not the true original, but this is what was claimed to be the '1989 Pure Trance Original' on my German
'Blow-Up' Last Train To Trancentral (Live From The Lost Continent) CD. If I am wrong, then so is the CD!"

Uploader Emperor Palpatine
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:05 pm
I gave their album The White Room a spin last week. I remember being underwhelmed on the
previous occasion and it was the same this time. Which leaves me with their ambient album Chill
Out
. Now that is excellent! I learnt about it from Mark Prendergast's must-read The Ambient Century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chill_Out  
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:11 pm
Common knowledge really but for those who didn't know--it's grim up north. Can't beat these guys!Stand By The JAMs----The Strange World of The KLF    Laugh

"Bolton, Barnsley, Nelson, Colne, Burnley, Bradford, Buxton, Crewe, Warrington, Widnes, Wigan, Leeds, Northwich, Nantwich, Knutsford, Hull, Sale, Salford, Southport, Leigh, Kirkby, Kearsley, Keighley, Maghull, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Oldham, Lancs, Grimsby, Glossop, Hebden Bridge. Brighouse, Bootle, Featherstone, Speke, Runcorn, Rotherham, Rochdale, Barrow, Morecambe, Macclesfield, Lytham St. Annes, Clitheroe, Cleethorpes, the M62. Pendlebury, Prestwich, Preston, York, Skipton, Scunthorpe, Scarborough-on-Sea, Chester, Chorley, Cheadle Hulme (could also be interpreted as the equally valid Cheadle, Hulme), Ormskirk, Accrington, Stanley (could also be interpreted as the football club, Accrington Stanley FC), Leigh, Ossett, Otley, Ilkley Moor, Sheffield, Manchester, Castleford, Skem (Skelmersdale), Doncaster, Dewsbury, Halifax, Bingley, Bramhall..."
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am
Here's an unlikely collaboration, to say the least!

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:49 pm
In 1988 Cauty and Drummond had a UK #1 with this wacky mashup (read about it below). The accompanying video is hilarious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctorin%27_the_Tardis
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:52 pm
I've been giving the original UK version of The White Room a listen and I'm warming to it. A lot of it is very laid-back and basic. "Build A Fire" is a typical KLF example of how to construct a solid song out of next to nothing. These are the lyrics:

"Pulled up to rest, let the engine cool awhile
Open the beans, gather wood for the fire
I hum this tune, to all the girls I've known
Should I care, about the chances I've blown?

"Build a fire, they're gonna build a fire

They're gonna build a fire
They're gonna build a fire

"When daylight breaks, I'll be down that road
Rockman an' me, with a lighter load
We'll stop for lunch, in some taco bar
Lee Marvin on the jukebox, 'Wandering Star’

Build a fire, they're gonna build a fire"

Bill Drummond handles the two spoken verses, P.P. Arnold sings the chorus and Graham Lee provides some gorgeous pedal steel. 

https://mookidmusic.com/2016/08/11/the-klf-build-a-fire-1989/
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum