THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

The much maligned "talk tracks" Empty The much maligned "talk tracks"

Fri May 03, 2019 6:46 pm
You know, those three that sabotage what are otherwise fantastic albums. Suspect

I'll make a case for all three in time. When I do, I'll be wearing my red fireman's hat (a leftover from my days working in the Amsterdam docks) as a precautionary measure, as feelings generally run high at the mere mention of their names. Shocked

To be continued. Please feel free to join in (just leave the bad eggs and rotten fruit at home, okay?). Laughing
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

The much maligned "talk tracks" Empty Re: The much maligned "talk tracks"

Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am
On the face of it, "'Cassius' Love vs. 'Sonny' Wilson" is the talk track that comes closest to filler, even for me. (The other two serve greater purposes in my view.) But back in early 1964, fans had little or no opportunity to hear the Boys chatting informally--there was the occasional radio or TV interview and then it was probably Brian and Mike who did the talking. At least this way fans got to hear Alan's speaking voice as well. Wink 

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Sat May 04, 2019 7:13 pm
I hope this thread includes demos as well? Soon as I saw the title, I instantly thought of this track and the cool picture shown in the particular upload via YouTube.

I have always liked this track for some reason. There's something quite unique, and cool about it. And of course, recorded in a milestone year for the boys! Yes, the start of their true creativity and finding themselves as a fine touring act (with added members such as Blondie, Eddie Carter and Rickey to name a few) for the decade which will follow all through the '70s.

*Note they had to cut Brian's head in to the photoshoots round this period. I guess using a pre-photoshop!  Laughing  

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun May 05, 2019 2:14 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:I hope this thread includes demos as well? Soon as I saw the title, I instantly thought of this track and the cool picture shown in the particular upload via YouTube.

It's really about the three on Shut Down, Volume 2, Today! and All Summer Long, as these get unfairly maligned and left off fans' alternate album track lists. But of course, anything else with talking in it like "My Solution" is welcome as well. Very Happy
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 am
Mr. K wrote:It's really about the three on Shut Down, Volume 2, Today! and All Summer Long, as these get unfairly maligned and left off fans' alternate album track lists.

I will post a track tonight from the three albums you mentioned (which have not been already posted). Oops! Razz
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mon May 06, 2019 7:54 pm
As promised! I haven't heard this one in many, many years! It's not one you come back to listen too, but hey. Why not for this thread! Whenever I hear the boys talking in the studio, and joking around in the '60s. It reminds me of my Dad's early "Housewives & Dogs" sessions in the '90s. He used to mix their 'talking studio sessions' with his tracks. Mainly the PS sessions.

A note from this one was funny. "Hey Carl? Get out of here."  Laughing  

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon May 06, 2019 9:26 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Cool Cool Water wrote:

Thanks! The thing about this one is that it follows Denny's "ITBOMM". That stunning song is so out of left field and so unlike anything else on the album that in my view it's quite simply unfollowable. By music, that is. The silly chat track fills the bill perfectly. I generally get shouted down if I voice this opinion at Smiley or anywhere else but I'm among friends here. Aren't I? Hallo? Anyone home? king
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed May 08, 2019 10:13 am
And now for the last of the three (although of course chronologically it came second). "Our Favorite Recording Sessions" has the most reason for being where it is. At the end Brian says, "I forgot my note!" and goes to the piano to play it (an E flat, here at 1:52).

Now the first note you hear in the next and last track, "Don't Back Down", is E flat:

The mono version of "DBD" has a more satisfying fade (there's much more of it).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum