THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Music for films--The OST topic

on Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:25 pm
I dedicate this topic to a dear friend who has revived my interest in film soundtracks and film music in general. This is arguably her favourite excerpt from her favourite OST to her favourite film:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertigo_(film)

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:16 pm
Here's a mutual favourite, Maurice Jarre's fantastic OST for the peerless Lawrence of Arabia. I saw this film in '63 (?) and bought the OST three years later.  



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)#Music

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:16 pm
Here's another mutual favourite. Wow. I remember seeing this when it was first released:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Fever


_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 2015
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 30
Location : Above sea level
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:24 pm
Mr. K wrote:Here's another mutual favourite. Wow. I remember seeing this when it was first released:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Fever


Did you go on your own back in '77?

_________________
Music for films--The OST topic 12312230_1014562421943600_2080429194_n_1
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:Here's another mutual favourite. Wow. I remember seeing this when it was first released:



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Fever


Did you go on your own back in '77?

I went with my wife. I think we were the oldest people in the cinema. Music for films--The OST topic Tongue

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 2015
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 30
Location : Above sea level
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:25 pm
Mr. K wrote:I went with my wife. I think we were the oldest people in the cinema. Music for films--The OST topic Tongue

Music for films--The OST topic Tongue

_________________
Music for films--The OST topic 12312230_1014562421943600_2080429194_n_1
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:19 pm

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:51 pm
I bumped into this soundtrack album while looking for a song title in a game at Hoffman. Stirring stuff indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnpIGDCblPQVNKsTSTFvKuKc7wmJfbhis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampage_(soundtrack)

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:33 am
A good friend recently sent me this album of music from Game of Thrones. Wonderful stuff. :Smile 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCemS3f-DU&list=OLAK5uy_mKtsXFWj9gpwx7L6zWpKzKI9dNG1DO3Q0


Music for films--The OST topic SongExploder40-600x298


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramin_Djawadi

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:43 am
Mr. K wrote:A good friend recently sent me this album of music from Game of Thrones. Wonderful stuff. :Smile 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCemS3f-DU&list=OLAK5uy_mKtsXFWj9gpwx7L6zWpKzKI9dNG1DO3Q0


Music for films--The OST topic SongExploder40-600x298


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramin_Djawadi

And I listened to it again while cooking up a one-person meal of organic potatoes, lettuce and cucumber and decidedly unorganic fish fingers, all laced with a glass or two of something fermented. 

Some great music in there, with an occasional whiff of the Orient but mostly heavily Celtic (at least to these jaundiced ears). Wink

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen
Posts : 424
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Near a trebuchet

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:52 pm
This is from the movie Stormy Weather (1943) with Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers. This is the first and only take of the sequence and considered one of the best dance routines ever. I am truly amazed at how the choreography was pulled off.

'Jumpin` Jive'---Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers



_________________
Music for films--The OST topic A8ad6f8a7b88aabca82f2935fd7a63b5
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:08 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:This is from the movie Stormy Weather (1943) with Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers. This is the first and only take of the sequence and considered one of the best dance routines ever. I am truly amazed at how the choreography was pulled off.

'Jumpin` Jive'---Cab Calloway and the Nicholas Brothers

That. Is. Incredible. One take????? My goodness. Thank you so much for sharing it!

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen
Posts : 424
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Near a trebuchet

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:51 pm
Since I was writing a book I didn`t get the watch The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings movies between Christmas and New Year`s like I do every year, so I`m catching up now. This was during the closing credits of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

'I See Fire'----Ed Sheeran


_________________
Music for films--The OST topic A8ad6f8a7b88aabca82f2935fd7a63b5
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen
Posts : 424
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Near a trebuchet

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm
Fifty years ago this week the tragedy aboard Apollo 13 occurred. It ended happily by bringing astronauts Comdr. Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Jack Swigert back to earth. This is from the movie made in 1995 starring Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, and Ed Harris.

'All Systems Go--The Launch'~~~James Horner (composer) Apollo 13 soundtrack


_________________
Music for films--The OST topic A8ad6f8a7b88aabca82f2935fd7a63b5
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:44 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:Fifty years ago this week the tragedy aboard Apollo 13 occurred. It ended happily by bringing astronauts Comdr. Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Jack Swigert back to earth. This is from the movie made in 1995 starring Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, and Ed Harris.

'All Systems Go--The Launch'~~~James Horner (composer) Apollo 13 soundtrack

I just read it up at Wikipedia--what a riveting account! Lovely music too. Thanks for letting us know, DGQ. Wink

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 2015
Reputation : 20
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 30
Location : Above sea level
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:This is from the movie made in 1995 starring Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, and Ed Harris.

Funnily enough I was watching that '95 film just the other month!

_________________
Music for films--The OST topic 12312230_1014562421943600_2080429194_n_1
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen
Posts : 424
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Near a trebuchet

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Fri May 08, 2020 2:04 pm
There are times in a person`s life when the darkness just seems to engulf us so much, we are not sure if there`s a way out. We want to give up and just say to Hell with the world. Struggling with mental illness can do that, especially when there are those who call themselves "professionals" in the field are more about control than helping. When a time like that has passed, it is difficult to find the light again. Any possible light that comes isn`t perceptible. So it was with me many years ago. I had been partially hospitalized for the mental illness that is still with me to this day. There were those case workers and nurses who were more interested in control and power than they were in trying to help someone recover from an illness. When they were finally run out, I had been so burned that I trusted absolutely no one. A nurse named Cora Lee P. was brought in to temporarily fill in until a permanent nurse could be hired. I usually sat in the corner during her groups, sort of listening, full of resentment, anger--mostly distrust. About the third time she had her group I walked by her and noticed a necklace she was wearing. It was the pendant of the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek. Being a huge Trekkie myself, I automatically gave the Vulcan salute and said "Live long and prosper". So began the next few years of someone bringing me out of the darkness. Cora Lee was perhaps the most important person in my life. I learned earlier this week that she had died. In tribute, I posted this suite of the various themes from the Star Trek TV series and movies on my Facebook page.


'Star Trek Mega Suite: 50th Anniversary Tribute'---Various composers (Alexander Courage, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner, Dennis McCarthy, Michael Giacchino, Leonard Rosenman, Cliff Eidelman, Ron Jones, Ray Ellis, Jay Chattaway)



_________________
Music for films--The OST topic A8ad6f8a7b88aabca82f2935fd7a63b5
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Thu May 14, 2020 11:32 am

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 1919
Reputation : 33
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 72
Location : Below sea level

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

on Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:27 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:There are times in a person`s life when the darkness just seems to engulf us so much, we are not sure if there`s a way out. We want to give up and just say to Hell with the world. Struggling with mental illness can do that, especially when there are those who call themselves "professionals" in the field are more about control than helping. When a time like that has passed, it is difficult to find the light again. Any possible light that comes isn`t perceptible. So it was with me many years ago. I had been partially hospitalized for the mental illness that is still with me to this day. There were those case workers and nurses who were more interested in control and power than they were in trying to help someone recover from an illness. When they were finally run out, I had been so burned that I trusted absolutely no one. A nurse named Cora Lee P. was brought in to temporarily fill in until a permanent nurse could be hired. I usually sat in the corner during her groups, sort of listening, full of resentment, anger--mostly distrust. About the third time she had her group I walked by her and noticed a necklace she was wearing. It was the pendant of the Starship Enterprise from Star Trek. Being a huge Trekkie myself, I automatically gave the Vulcan salute and said "Live long and prosper". So began the next few years of someone bringing me out of the darkness. Cora Lee was perhaps the most important person in my life. I learned earlier this week that she had died. In tribute, I posted this suite of the various themes from the Star Trek TV series and movies on my Facebook page.

Criminally, I missed this first time round. So sorry to hear of Cora Lee's death.

_________________
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Handel French Ouvertures Project
Sponsored content

Music for films--The OST topic Empty Re: Music for films--The OST topic

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum