Share
Go down
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 260
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:43 am
Let's get this topic underway! Who's heard this before?

avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 219
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:Let's get this topic underway! Who's heard this before?


I'm sure I've heard it before. Great rollicking stuff to kick off the BW thread.

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 260
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:07 pm
Mr. K wrote:
I'm sure I've heard it before. Great rollicking stuff to kick off the BW thread.

I love the chord progressions throughout. One of the genius's of Brian Wilson is that he would change to chords you never thought would work!

_________________
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 109
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Still in Kansas, Not yet over the rainbow
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:08 pm
How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Be True to Your School: 58 Years Later Brian Wilson Gets An 'A' in Music

_________________
Go here for my fan fiction stuff and thangs: http://archiveofourown.org/users/D_J_Marlowe/profile

avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 219
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 pm
CherokeeRose wrote:How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Be True to Your School: 58 Years Later Brian Wilson Gets An 'A' in Music

That's really heart-warming. Justice at (long) last!

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 260
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:35 pm
CherokeeRose wrote:How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Be True to Your School: 58 Years Later Brian Wilson Gets An 'A' in Music

I'm guessing the teacher is long passed? I guess he kicked himself for years after for giving that an 'F'. Laughing

I remember seeing an interview with him (Fred Morgan) and he discusses what happened.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 219
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:I remember seeing an interview with him (Fred Morgan) and he discusses what happened.

I've been looking for it but all you get is the new story. Maybe it'll turn up some time...

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 260
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 pm
Mr. K wrote:I've been looking for it but all you get is the new story. Maybe it'll turn up some time...

It's from an old BB documentary. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, though!

However, and lucky for yourself, Brian's Instagram page posted the clip the other day.  Cool

See link --->  ""Brian’s high school music teacher talks about giving Brian an F.""

**Click the video next to the picture of Brian running from his school days.

_________________
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 219
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:I've been looking for it but all you get is the new story. Maybe it'll turn up some time...

It's from an old BB documentary. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it, though!

However, and lucky for yourself, Brian's Instagram page posted the clip the other day.  Cool

See link --->  ""Brian’s high school music teacher talks about giving Brian an F.""

**Click the video next to the picture of Brian running from his school days.

Oh yes! Very cool. Thanks for that, Rich. I also found this photo of Morgan in a tweet from last year:

https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/837008061525082121

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 260
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:51 pm
Mr. K wrote:
I also found this photo of Morgan in a tweet from last year:

https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/837008061525082121

Thanks for the link! Very interesting. Smile

_________________
Posts : 2
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-01-07
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 pm
CherokeeRose wrote:How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Quite easily - Brian didn't hand in what the teacher specified. Instant fail.
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 109
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Still in Kansas, Not yet over the rainbow
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm
AGD wrote:
CherokeeRose wrote:How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Quite easily - Brian didn't hand in what the teacher specified. Instant fail.

You have to wonder, even if he did hand in the wrong assignment, if the music teacher ever thought that Brian had some talent.

_________________
Go here for my fan fiction stuff and thangs: http://archiveofourown.org/users/D_J_Marlowe/profile

avatar
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
Posts : 260
Reputation : 9
Join date : 2018-01-07
Age : 28
Location : Above sea level
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:30 am

_________________
Posts : 2
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2018-01-07
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:10 am
CherokeeRose wrote:
AGD wrote:
CherokeeRose wrote:How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Quite easily - Brian didn't hand in what the teacher specified. Instant fail.

You have to wonder, even if he did hand in the wrong assignment, if the music teacher ever thought that Brian had some talent.

I'm pretty sure Fred Morgan knew Brian had something special going on. The following is from something Fred wrote for the class of 1997:

"Morgan, now VP at Lennox HS, is remembered by many for giving BRIAN WILSON, leader of the Beach Boys, an 'F' for writing "Surfin' USA," later to be a million dollar hit for Hawthorne High's BEACH BOYS. Morgan answers the obvious question: he simply didn't bring in the assignment asked for! Fred Morgan recounts those days in the 50's and early 60's with pleasure. "There was real empathy between teacher and student back then. Some of those kids are among my best friends yet today."

Passing on to Brian any Beach Boy mail that might occasionally show up at HHS, Morgan has joked about the 'Surfin' USA" episode. Supposedly the paper marked 'F' hangs framed next to the gold record of the same title!"

Not exactly historically accurate, but you get the idea.
avatar
Advisor
Advisor
Posts : 219
Reputation : 10
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Below sea level
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm
AGD wrote:
CherokeeRose wrote:
AGD wrote:
CherokeeRose wrote:How could any music teacher give Brian an 'F' in music? At least, it finally got changed to an 'A'! Hooray for Hawthorne High!

Quite easily - Brian didn't hand in what the teacher specified. Instant fail.

You have to wonder, even if he did hand in the wrong assignment, if the music teacher ever thought that Brian had some talent.

I'm pretty sure Fred Morgan knew Brian had something special going on. The following is from something Fred wrote for the class of 1997:

"Morgan, now VP at Lennox HS, is remembered by many for giving BRIAN WILSON, leader of the Beach Boys, an 'F' for writing "Surfin' USA," later to be a million dollar hit for Hawthorne High's BEACH BOYS. Morgan answers the obvious question: he simply didn't bring in the assignment asked for! Fred Morgan recounts those days in the 50's and early 60's with pleasure. "There was real empathy between teacher and student back then. Some of those kids are among my best friends yet today."

Passing on to Brian any Beach Boy mail that might occasionally show up at HHS, Morgan has joked about the 'Surfin' USA" episode. Supposedly the paper marked 'F' hangs framed next to the gold record of the same title!"

Not exactly historically accurate, but you get the idea.

Thanks for that, Andrew. I keep wondering whether the man is still alive...

This Cougartown page has a section devoted to Dr. Morgan:
http://www.cougartown.com/no1-teachers.html
The list at the end (last updated August 1997) describes him as living in Santa Maria.

Search for <Santa Maria> here:
https://www.checkthem.com/name/Frederic-Morgan/  
and you get a Frederic Morgan living there who is now 83. It's possible, I suppose.

_________________
"Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere." (J.P. Donleavy)
"Old ones, new ones, loved ones, neglected ones" (Alberto Semprini)
"I don't want to go out. I want to stay in. Get things done." (David Bowie)
avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts : 109
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2018-01-07
Location : Still in Kansas, Not yet over the rainbow
View user profile

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:22 am
It sounds like there was a lot of mutual respect between the two of them. Both probably look back and sort of laugh at the incident. Dr. Morgan had to do what was necessary when a student doesn`t do the assignment, but on the side he had to admire Brian`s originality and most likely encouraged it. Smile

_________________
Go here for my fan fiction stuff and thangs: http://archiveofourown.org/users/D_J_Marlowe/profile

Sponsored content

Re: The Brian Wilson Thread

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum