Go down
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

Tapatalk and the Business of Relocating Posts from There to Here

on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:42 pm
I've just finished getting the "Beach Boys Calendar" in place. I started two days ago. The reason why it has taken so long to set up can be summed up in one word: Tapatalk.

A normal, poster-friendly service would show the codes when a topic is in Edit or Quote mode. This makes it easier to transfer posts whilst retaining all the codes for italics, bold type, font sizes, etc. Not so our friend (first appropriately mistyped fiend).

In Tapatalk's Edit and Quote modes, what you see is no different from what any browser sees. Although this looks promising (all the colours, font sizes, italics, etc are seemingly in place when pasted into your Word document), when
it comes to repasting it online, it reverts to a single neutral format. That's when the air is liable to turn blue and the laborious task of reconstructing the original can begin.

No doubt Ms Mod will accuse me of rambling and being vague, although of course this is anything but true.

View user profile

Re: Tapatalk and the Business of Relocating Posts from There to Here

on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 pm
Mr. K wrote:I've just finished getting the "Beach Boys Calendar" in place. I started two days ago. The reason why it has taken so long to set up can be summed up in one word: Tapatalk.

A normal, poster-friendly service would show the codes when a topic is in Edit or Quote mode. This makes it easier to transfer posts whilst retaining all the codes for italics, bold type, font sizes, etc. Not so our friend (first appropriately mistyped fiend).

In Tapatalk's Edit and Quote modes, what you see is no different from what any browser sees. Although this looks promising (all the colours, font sizes, italics, etc are seemingly in place when pasted into your Word document), when
it comes to repasting it online, it reverts to a single neutral format. That's when the air is liable to turn blue and the laborious task of reconstructing the original can begin.

No doubt Ms Mod will accuse me of rambling and being vague, although of course this is anything but true.

Vague. Rambling. Ban until the year 1557058279.
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 am
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Mr. K wrote:I've just finished getting the "Beach Boys Calendar" in place. I started two days ago. The reason why it has taken so long to set up can be summed up in one word: Tapatalk.

John, and on Tapatalk when editing a post, if you click the 3 dotted lines at the top "..." it brings the post into the advanced edit mode where you see it all and not the final preview. Not the no difference which you and us see.

Hope this helps? Saying that though. Bob shut the place down, so it's gone. Smile

View user profile

on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 am
Cool Cool Water wrote:John, and on Tapatalk when editing a post, if you click the 3 dotted lines at the top "..." it brings the post into the advanced edit mode where you see it all and not the final preview. Not the no difference which you and us see.

Hope this helps? Saying that though. Bob shut the place down, so it's gone. Smile

Yes, it's gone! Thanks anyway.

It's great to be able to choose font sizes in between the standard ones again. I've just been putting the finishing touches to the Brian Jones topic and heard some fine music along the way. What a talent, what a waste of a young life...

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:02 pm
I do believe I've reinstated everything I retrieved from our previous home. Even The Beard of Love is in place...

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:13 pm
Mr. K wrote:I do believe I've reinstated everything I retrieved from our previous home. Even The Beard of Love is in place...

Great work, John! Cool

View user profile

on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 am
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:I do believe I've reinstated everything I retrieved from our previous home. Even The Beard of Love is in place...

Great work, John! Cool

Thanks, Rich. One thing I still have to do is tidy up TBOL. Not the grammar or the typos, basically just removing gaps between characters that shouldn't be there and adding them where they should be. That's all. I'll do it bit by bit in my spare moments...

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am
Mr. K wrote:
Cool Cool Water wrote:

Great work, John! Cool

Thanks, Rich. One thing I still have to do is tidy up TBOL. Not the grammar or the typos, basically just removing gaps between characters that shouldn't be there and adding them where they should be. That's all. I'll do it bit by bit in my spare moments...

And even that's done now, up to and including Colin's fragment Makarios: The Wilderness Years, which is very funny.

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:39 pm
Mr. K wrote:
And even that's done now, up to and including Colin's fragment Makarios: The Wilderness Years, which is very funny.

Great work as always, John! We're all part of keeping this rocking-cool ship floating! Cool

View user profile

on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:21 am
Yesterday I discovered you can retrieve single pages from there as a cache but this seems to be restricted to the old Quote Topic. Nothing
else seems to work. Still, that topic was composed of hundreds of unrelated posts so there was no way anyone was going to go through
it before the board was closed down. So this could be very handy if ever anyone thinks of an old quote they'd like to have on the new board.

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 pm
Mr. K wrote:Yesterday I discovered you can retrieve single pages from there as a cache but this seems to be restricted to the old Quote Topic. Nothing
else seems to work. Still, that topic was composed of hundreds of unrelated posts so there was no way anyone was going to go through
it before the board was closed down. So this could be very handy if ever anyone thinks of an old quote they'd like to have on the new board.

A great find, John!

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum