Go down
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

The Travel Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Travel Thread

on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:35 am
Lovely place in a lovely setting (pity's about your mate's shorts, hahaha). 

I love what the English Heritage website has to say about it: "By 1600 it had passed to Sir Thomas Cecil, son of Queen Elizabeth’s chief minister, who converted it into an almshouse for 12 poor ‘bedesmen’ over 30 years old and two women (over 45), all free of lunacy, leprosy or the French pox." I wonder if they all wore short trousers...

The house has some beautiful beams, particularly in the attic. Once again, I appreciate your views out of the surroundings--it puts it all in perspective. And a great choice of music, as always. Wink

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
DarkGothicQueen
View user profile

on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:My latest trip was yesterday. Smile

I was laughing at the guy in the shorts as well. Was he someone that was with you or did it just seem like wherever you went there he was?  lol!

It`s amazing that they had fire extinguishers, alarms, and smoke alarms back in the middle ages just like we we have them now.  Razz

Honorary Member
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:41 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:I was laughing at the guy in the shorts as well. Was he someone that was with you or did it just seem like wherever you went there he was?  lol!

It`s amazing that they had fire extinguishers, alarms, and smoke alarms back in the middle ages just like we we have them now.  Razz

That's my friend and work colleague, Bill, who sometimes comes on my MR trips with me. I have a MR team you know! Laughing Laughing  If he was some stranger it'd be a bit strange him constantly in my shots, lol! Laughing

English Heritage policy for health and safety why they have to be there unfortunately. They are all carefully put in which doesn't alter the listed buildings which is good.  

Honorary Member

on Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:18 pm
Mr. K wrote:Lovely place in a lovely setting (pity's about your mate's shorts, hahaha). 

I love what the English Heritage website has to say about it: "By 1600 it had passed to Sir Thomas Cecil, son of Queen Elizabeth’s chief minister, who converted it into an almshouse for 12 poor ‘bedesmen’ over 30 years old and two women (over 45), all free of lunacy, leprosy or the French pox." I wonder if they all wore short trousers...

The house has some beautiful beams, particularly in the attic. Once again, I appreciate your views out of the surroundings--it puts it all in perspective. And a great choice of music, as always. Wink

Late to this as you didn't quote the message! lol! ... Thanks as always. Henry VIII visited there with 4000 men back in the day... Can you believe it, lol! The small village would of been ransacked of food/supplies.

It's really hot here in the UK atm... Hence him wearing shorts lol.... Or am i missing a joke here. Laughing

Advisor
View user profile

on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:46 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:Lovely place in a lovely setting (pity's about your mate's shorts, hahaha). 

Late to this as you didn't quote the message! lol! ... Thanks as always. Henry VIII visited there with 4000 men back in the day... Can you believe it, lol! The small village would of been ransacked of food/supplies.

It's really hot here in the UK atm... Hence him wearing shorts lol.... Or am i missing a joke here.  Laughing

Yes, I should have quoted it. I'll try to be more attentive in future. Wink

As for Bill's shorts... I'm thinking back on my enforced visits to hundreds of Italian churches a couple of decades ago. Anyone wearing shorts or inappropriate tops would have been shown the door. They're super-strict on these things (or they were). Anyway, I guess I'm just not a shorts person (luckily for those in my vicinity), even though it's effin' hot here too. Embarassed

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:57 pm
Mr. K wrote:As for Bill's shorts... I'm thinking back on my enforced visits to hundreds of Italian churches a couple of decades ago. Anyone wearing shorts or inappropriate tops would have been shown the door. They're super-strict on these things (or they were). Anyway, I guess I'm just not a shorts person (luckily for those in my vicinity), even though it's effin' hot here too. Embarassed

Never knew that information, very interesting indeed. I forgot to mention the shorts joke to him at work today! Laughing

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum