THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
AGD

Some Thoughts on Murry Wilson Empty Re: Some Thoughts on Murry Wilson

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:22 am
The thing about Murry was, however bad he was - and he was, in some instances, despicable - his own father, William Coral "Buddy" Wilson (1890-1981) was far worse. The man was a violent drunk who Murry once had to stop beating his wife (i.e. Murry's mother) and threw him out of the house, broke Murry's glasses (he was wearing them) and was generally a horrible person. When he died in 1981, aged 91, he was estranged from the entire Wilson & Love families and had been for many years. I don't think he even went to Murry's funeral.

This isn't to excuse any of Murry's more extreme actions and tendencies, but his personality didn't come out of nowhere.
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:17 am
I remember reading (in Catch A Wave?) that his sisters wouldn't hear a bad word spoken about Murry because of how he'd tried to protect them and their mother from Buddy's drunken onslaughts.

So Brian and Dennis not attending Murry's funeral was basically carrying on a dysfunctional family tradition. Some Thoughts on Murry Wilson Cool
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 am
This is arguably the finest track on TMMoMW, the Rick Henn composition "Island In The Sky":

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am
Somehow missed the great man's birthday on the 2nd
(even though I was back from holiday by then).
This is probably Murry's finest hour.

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 pm
I remembered him this year though. Poor Murry has a lot to live down.  

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:17 pm
George Falkner (Junkstar at Smiley and EH) has recorded a couple of Murry singles. "Two Step, Side Step" was released in 2015 and now we have a Christmas ditty--with a cowboy song on the flip! In a just world, "Happy, Happy Holiday" would be heard in shopping malls the world over this Christmas:

[video deleted]

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26783.msg655281.html#msg655281

Last edited by Mr. K on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member
https://www.youtube.com/medievalrichard

Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Who's getting this then? Out on the 20th. 4 unreleased tracks - looks/sounds pretty cool!

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:Who's getting this then? Out on the 20th. 4 unreleased tracks - looks/sounds pretty cool!

Yes, it sounds fascinating. I won't be getting it (I've given up getting things) but I'll be looking out for on YouTube. Wink
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:29 pm
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:14 am
How about this? George Faulkner Sings Murry Wilson -- released Friday 16 October! The press report is essential reading (see link below):

Some Thoughts on Murry Wilson Murry-wilson-lp-final-with-border

https://boltrecords.net/2020/10/10/murrywilsonlp/
Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:01 pm
Mr. K wrote:How about this? George Faulkner Sings Murry Wilson -- released Friday 16 October!

Cool stuff, thanks for posting! We have a rare Murry Wilson vinyl framed - a promotional release of the "Plumber's Tune". I will add a picture below;

Some Thoughts on Murry Wilson 20201012-125529

How we obtained it was my Dads friend from Canada gave it to him on his visit to the UK many years back. How he got his hands on it we don't know! Laughing
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:11 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:Cool stuff, thanks for posting! We have a rare Murry Wilson vinyl framed - a promotional release of the "Plumber's Tune". I will add a picture below;

How we obtained it was my Dads friend from Canada gave it to him on his visit to the UK many years back. How he got his hands on it we don't know! Laughing

Wow! That must be priceless. You lucky people! If only Murry knew the positive reevaluation his work is getting these days...

On that note, I hope Brian responds to George F's album release. Wink

Cool Cool Water likes this post

Cool Cool Water
Cool Cool Water
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:47 pm
Mr. K wrote:Wow! That must be priceless. You lucky people! If only Murry knew the positive reevaluation his work is getting these days...

Just got an update where my Dad's friend from Canada obtained that vinyl. He was in California in the late '60s, on the day a disarmed solider from the Vietnam war tried to killed him while he was on the beach! After the crazy ordeal that day, he went to a yard sale to calm down, and picked it up from there. The previous owner worked as a DJ in the early '60s and got it that way through Capitol. Amazing story!
Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:40 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Just got an update where my Dad's friend from Canada obtained that vinyl. He was in California in the late '60s, on the day a disarmed solider from the Vietnam war tried to killed him while he was on the beach! After the crazy ordeal that day, he went to a yard sale to calm down, and picked it up from there. The previous owner worked as a DJ in the early '60s and got it that way through Capitol. Amazing story!

Ye gods, what a story! What a Face Thanks for sharing.

Cool Cool Water likes this post

smileysmile42
smileysmile42

Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:03 am
you really wonder if Murray's father was that bad that he would at least try and not be like that some of it do become our parents but one does wonder if anyone did point that out to him? sure he wasn't as bad as his father but than you have Joan Crawford who also was a horrible mother to at least 2 of her kids the twins she was good to apparently but if you look up Crawford's history as well her mother was a horrible mother as well.

but than if you look at any of the brother's any of them Brian, Carl or Dennis hell even Mike love even though i detest the man and i have since child hood i've never heard anyone call him a really awful father or any of the brothers for that matter. Brian yeah when he was still doing drugs but he's admitted hew as a horrible father and has since made amends, my point is i think it really ended with Murray when he died cause we've heard for years how bad he was and how his father was even work it's kinda like a miracle that none of the brothers ever ended up being another Murray Wilson. both men but really screwed up a lot of lives no doubt both mentally and physically to no doubt
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum