THe BeAcH BoYs ExPeRieNCe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness Empty Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 pm
Lene Lovich was born Lili-Marlene Premilovich in Detroit, Michigan in March of 1949 to an English mother and a father of Yugoslavian descent. The family moved to England when she was 13 where she met her guitarist, Les Chappell, who also became her lifetime partner. She attended numerous art schools and learned to play saxophone. Well, that`s what her biography says. However, I am convinced that Lene Lovich is really Wednesday of the Addams family when she grew up.  

Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness 506404a25ca54cb7b74698b4ebce4cc7  Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness 58249d83dffe52ed5c4d2f7ac56244fb

The plaited braids hairstyle actually came from the fact that she tied her hair back in such a manner when she worked on her sculptures. She began her music career with a band called The Diversions in 1975. When the band broke up she began her solo career with a cover of 'I Think I`m Alone Now' by Tommy James and the Shondells. Interesting choice. You can tell the origins of her career in alternative music were beginning to form, offering the music world a unique listening experience that would evolve well into the 1980`s. Note the use of the typical `70`s style Moog Synthesizer.

'I Think We`re Alone Now'---Lene Lovich

DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness Empty Re: Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:20 pm
Lene`s early life was quite varied. She was a go-go dancer, an "oriental" dancer, traveled to Spain where she met the artist Salvador Dali, sang in a choir in the Royal Albert Hall, played a soldier in a play, toured Italy with a west Indian soul band, played saxophone for an all girl cabaret trio, recorded screams for horror films, and once sang in the chorus for Chuck Berry`s 'My Ding-a-Ling'--just to name a few. One of her first singles was aimed at the Christmas market in 1976. It has a vintage sound mixed with being on the edge of creepy. You know something out of the ordinary is certainly taking root and you`re not exactly sure what it is.

'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'---Lene Lovich

DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness Empty Re: Eating Insects At The Blue Motel---Lene Lovich In Song And Weirdness

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:15 pm
Along with a cover single and some Christmas music, Lene also provided the lyrics to French disco star Cerrone`s song 'Supernature', indicative of her interest in animal welfare. The lyrics are quite dark, describing a surreal world in which the natural world rises to fight back against its destruction and desecration by humanity.

(Some excerpts)

Once upon a time science opened up the door
We would feed the hungry fields 'til they couldn`t eat no more
But the potions that we made touched the creatures down below, oh
And they grew up in the way that we`d never seen before

Supernature (repeat 8 times)

Better watch out, there`s no way to stop it now
You can` escape, it`s too late
Look what you`ve done, there`s no place that you can run
The monster`s made, you must pay....

The lyrics go on painting a picture for a great science-gone-wrong-horror movie.

'Supernature'---Cerrone

About at this same time Lene released her first album Stateless in which her first single was released. Love her facial expressions! And so it begins....

'Lucky Number'---Lene Lovich

DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:43 pm
Stateless was Lene Lovich`s first album. Following the success of the single 'My Lucky Number' the album was released first outside the UK, where it received critical acclaim and moderate commercial success. It did slightly better in the UK with a somewhat different track list, where some of the songs had new vocals and were slightly shortened to highlight Lene`s quirky singing style. Here is one of the first tracks. 'Home' has a driving bass track with the occasional synth. The lyrics suggest that "home" isn`t a great place to be, something I can easily identify with. 'Home' isn`t always what it`s hyped up to be, a place where if you are the odd one in the family the other family members will make your life miserable in an effort to control you, 'home' is where you should behave as expected to behave. However, 'home' with all of its clean living, etc. is more aggravation.

'Home'---Lene Lovich

Overall, the album has a more rock`n` roll feel that defined the 'new wave' style of music to come. 'Sleeping Beauty' is opposite of what the title suggests. Lovich is obviously making fun of what commercialized society thinks of what should be standards of beauty reminiscent of an episode of The Twilight Zone titled Number 12 Looks Just Like You where beauty for both men and women is codified as the standard. Anyone ugly is out of the norm. Only certain body styles are allowed so there are many that look alike. Even the minds are changed to accept this norm, any kind of individuality is discouraged and considered mentally ill. Lovich embodies that concept in this track, the individual shouting out to be recognized but only if it is molded and shaped by society`s standards of beauty. The lyrics cry out to be molded and shaped into someone beautiful, but in the end it`s rather disgusting.

'Sleeping Beauty'---Lene Lovich

DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:43 pm
A couple more tracks from the album Stateless. It was a typical debut album, something new and indicative of a different direction. As for what direction that music was going to go was pretty much up in the air. Toss out a couple tracks that sounded like hit singles and Lene Lovich was well on her way to greater successes.

'Telepathy'---Lene Lovich

'Momentary Breakdown'---Lene Lovich

DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:19 pm
With the success of Stateless Lene Lovich was beginning to establish her foothold on the decade to come. Flex was her next studio album. The cover is quite unique for the time. It depicts Lovich wearing a wedding dress and playing with hockey pucks on a string. The background is a stainless steel fermentation tank after it had been emptied, taken at a Guinness brewery. It seems that members of the Baptist church got their holier-than-thou panties in a bunch and tried to get the album banned in America because they thought it depicted witchcraft. The first single off the album was 'Bird Song'. Just how strange could her vocals get? The opening of this track is just a taste of what is to come as her career progresses.

'Bird Song'---Lene Lovich

DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:05 pm
Flex was recorded at the Wisseloord Studios in Hilversum, Netherlands. Lovich described it as a more introverted album than her first. It deals with subjects that are more emotional and of mental activity supplemented by inspiration from dreamlike images. This track 'You Can`t Kill Me' deals with reincarnation.

'You Can`t Kill Me'---Lene Lovich

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:00 pm
Damn! Why do I feel that the lovely Lene is trying to seduce me? First she pouts and bats her eyelids and then gives me a sexy smile--has no one told her I'm happily married? Very Happy
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:43 pm
I haven`t abandoned this topic. Just was too busy editing some stories.
This track is actually a cover of a Four Seasons song. She picked up a recording of it in a second hand record shop. From the album Flex

'The Night'---Lene Lovich

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:20 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:I haven`t abandoned this topic. Just was too busy editing some stories.
This track is actually a cover of a Four Seasons song. She picked up a recording of it in a second hand record shop. From the album Flex

'The Night'---Lene Lovich

Great song in a brilliant and respectful (if that's the right word) version. 
DarkGothicQueen
DarkGothicQueen

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 pm
Flex was an album that also addressed the brutality of the music industry and how it could be mentally damaging even though it is good recreation. This track is written by Judge Smith, specifically for this album.

'What Would I Do Without You'---Lene Lovich

This next track uses the inspiration of Joan of Arc and having self-confidence to trust in your own ideas.

'Joan'---Lena Lovich

Mr. K
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:14 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:This next track uses the inspiration of Joan of Arc and having self-confidence to trust in your own ideas.

'Joan'---Lena Lovich

Joan" is my favourite track from Flex, which I listened to all the way through a short while back. I especially love the jubilant brass lines ending on that unexpected chord! jocolor
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum