Go down
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

Songs by others that you've performed on stage - Page 2 Empty Re: Songs by others that you've performed on stage

on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 pm
Believe it or not, "my" now seriously defunct blues band used to end the official part of their set with "Whole Lotta Rosie", with the brass announcing Angus's iconic riff before the rest of us pitched in:

Archive of Our Own--Stories by DJ Marlowe
Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

Songs by others that you've performed on stage - Page 2 Empty Re: Songs by others that you've performed on stage

on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:25 pm

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:46 pm
"Mary Skeffington" is another cover to be played at the forthcoming party, this time as a keyboard solo by yours truly. Gerry Rafferty's Can I Have My Money Back? is one of my wife's favourite albums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Can_I_Have_My_Money_Back%3F

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 am
Marc Cohn's "Walking In Memphis" is another song we performed at that party. I learned it from an MP3 sent me by my fellow-performer and now I'm listening to the original version for the first time!

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Mon May 06, 2019 9:43 pm
Going back to Midnight Blue, the first band I played in (with my brother on lead guitar), The Animals' "For Miss Caulker" (basically a vehicle for keyboard player Alan Price) was pretty well the only track where I could actually be heard (my acoustic piano was unmic'd). My piano intro was unaccompanied--after that I was inaudible again. Sleep 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Tracks_(British_album)

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:38 am
This one popped into my head a few days ago. Randy Crawford's "One Day I'll Fly Away" was in the repertoire of the professional band when I joined in 1988. At my audition they were impressed with the fact that I played all the fiddly strings bits during the verses. Hair-raising times--that band taught me a lot about how to make music onstage. 

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:32 am
I have another "gig" coming up with my fellow traveller and one of the new songs he suggested we do was "Long May You Run" by The Stills-Young Band. Its BB reference isn't out of place--I dedicate the song to a Beach Boys fan who passed comet-like through my life. Long may you run!

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:30 pm
We added a new song to our repertoire during the brief rehearsal today (the actual gig is in ten day's time). It's from Leonard Cohen, a sultry affair called "Dance Me To The End Of Love":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Me_to_the_End_of_Love

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am
I have a solo spot in the gig mentioned in the previous couple of posts. So I asked my wife what she would like to hear. Yesterday she said "Play that CSN song" and I immediately knew which one she meant. "Helplessly Hoping" is quite a challenge--the words dictate the rhythm of the block harmonies--but I'm no slacker at the keyboard so I'll link it on YouTube and play along with it a few times and make a few notes (no pun intended). Wink   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helplessly_Hoping

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:36 pm
Mr. K wrote:I have a solo spot in the gig mentioned in the previous couple of posts. So I asked my wife what she would like to hear. Yesterday she said "Play that CSN song" and I immediately knew which one she meant. "Helplessly Hoping" is quite a challenge--the words dictate the rhythm of the block harmonies--but I'm no slacker at the keyboard so I'll link it on YouTube and play along with it a few times and make a few notes (no pun intended). Wink   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helplessly_Hoping

Oooff! This is quite a hard nut to crack. The original seems to be just three voices and acoustic guitar but man is that difficult to transcribe for keyboard! I printed the lyrics on a sheet of music paper so I could write out odd melody lines and harmonies but even so... Wish me luck on the day! geek

Mr. K
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

Yesterday at 8:28 pm
Mr. K wrote:
Mr. K wrote:I have a solo spot in the gig mentioned in the previous couple of posts. So I asked my wife what she would like to hear. Yesterday she said "Play that CSN song" and I immediately knew which one she meant. "Helplessly Hoping" is quite a challenge--the words dictate the rhythm of the block harmonies--but I'm no slacker at the keyboard so I'll link it on YouTube and play along with it a few times and make a few notes (no pun intended). Wink   

Oooff! This is quite a hard nut to crack. The original seems to be just three voices and acoustic guitar but man is that difficult to transcribe for keyboard! I printed the lyrics on a sheet of music paper so I could write out odd melody lines and harmonies but even so... Wish me luck on the day! geek

In fact "Hopelessly Helping" (as it's come out sometimes) went pretty well. I abandoned my keyboard and played it instead on my friend's grand, which was much more effective in separating the CSN harmonies from the accompaniment. Wink 

However, this Leonard Cohen song was the hit of the day: I think we must have performed it five or six times!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Me_to_the_End_of_Love

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum