Go down
Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

SMiLE----the album it took 37 years to release

on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:52 am
Summertime Blooz aka krabklaw at Smiley and PSF has just up-
loaded what may be his last Smile slideshow video on YouTube:

Like all the others in his Smile series, this is magnificent!  

Check out the entire series at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

Re: SMiLE----the album it took 37 years to release

on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 pm
Michael Vosse talks about Smile in a 1969 interview in Fusion. With grateful thanks to the indefatigable petsite:

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2476/notes-past?page=1&scrollTo=61176

Honorary Member
Honorary Member
View user profilehttps://www.youtube.com/c/medievalrichard

on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:40 pm
Mr. K wrote:Michael Vosse talks about Smile in a 1969 interview in Fusion. With grateful thanks to the indefatigable petsite:

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2476/notes-past?page=1&scrollTo=61176

Thanks for that, John! Cool

View user profile

on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 pm
This is essential stuff, the tabs to the "Smile" songs (with thanks to Micha at PSF):

http://surfermoon.com/francis/smile.html

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:14 pm
Mr. K wrote:This is essential stuff, the tabs to the "Smile" songs (with thanks to Micha at PSF):

http://surfermoon.com/francis/smile.html

I've used "Surfermoon.com" for many years now when learning BB songs. A brilliant site! Wink

View user profile

on Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 pm
I've been meaning for some time to post this fascinating 2015 description by Mujan of what is still their most recent SMiLE (or rather Dumb Angel) mix. First posted at Smiley, it has since sunk from view over there, one reason for deciding to post (rather than link) it here. (The other is that I consider it an important contribution to the discourse on SMiLE.) I've chopped out the irrelevancies but otherwise reproduce it verbatim. Aquarian and Olorin are previous mixes by said Mujan (these days theSuperMetroid at PSF). Perhaps I should add that Side A begins at 22:28. 

I think Ive finally perfected my preferred two-suite foundation and I decided to upload it today for the big guy's birthday. Aquarian was too long and not historicaly accurate in terms of which songs I used. Olorin was too reliant on Psychedelic Sounds and the track order could have used work. With this mix, which Im calling the Romestamo Cut, I think Ive reached the middle path between those two. It clocks in at 45 minutes, just on the cusp of what would have been plausible in '67. 11 tracks, all the ones on the Capitol tracklist sans Great Shape, because theres nothing to work with there and trying to recreate it was one of the biggest weaknesses of my Olorin Mix, Id say. I kept the idea of naming one side after a letter and the other a number to leave playing order open to the listener (at least in theory.)

Side 1
(Prayer)
1. Do You Dig Worms
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Cabin Essence
(Taxi Cabber)
4. The Elements
5. Vega-Tables

Side A
6. Good Vibrations
7. Wind Chimes
8. Wonderful
(Ice Cream Man)
9. Child is Father of the Man
10. My Only Sunshine
11. Surf's Up
(George Fell Into His French Horn)

The big differences in terms of individual song structure from Olorin are H&V, the Elements, Wind Chimes, and Wonderful. H&V now has Great Shape as a second interlude section and ends with the tape explosion and Fire intro because I think adding the train-whistle heavy Fire intro at the end of Heroes ties it better to Cabin, which is about trains. Heroes also begins with a vocal bit that segues into the flutter horn. The Taxi Cab skit plays over the organ part heard in the Workshop session on the boxset. The Elements is Fire, Undersea Chant with whistles from Bob Gordons Real Trip, Breathing skit with voiceover from Smog skit, then the laughing segues into the funny/pseudo-Earth element track, Veggies. The Veggie skit is overlaid on the Veggie outro. Wind Chimes now begins with the fade and ends with Holidays. Side A was a bit too short so I included about half of that track to fill out the difference. Look didnt make the cut tho. Neither did Dada as I dont consider it part of the original 1966 outline Brian was building from. Anyway, Wonderful also needed to be fleshed out, so it begins with the Basketball skit and ends with the Workshop sounds played over the Ice Cream Man skit. The wah-wah horn punctuates the "joke" there and helps transition us into CIFOTM. My Only Sunshine includes its original fade. Surf's Up still has the horn parts from the Talking Horns session overlaid on the second half, including the fade. A bit of silence and then the last skit comes on as a hidden bonus track.

Not a whole lot to say, really. All my thoughts on the greater thematic and musical significance of this type of structure have been brought up repeatedly before. One side is very bombastic yet funny while the other is more somber and sincere, one has more unusual instrumentation and whistles while the other has mostly pianos, horns and xylophones. All that good stuff. All my theories on the Psychedelic Sounds skits serving a greater purpose to SMiLE than previously thought have been posted before. I just think in hindsight I took it too far last time [in the Olorin mix] by having one between each track. I think there would have been a decent amount of them on the album, but probably only ~2 per side, as I did here. Taxi Cabber ties in nicely with the "roadtrip across America" theme, but puts a funny stoner twist on it. It bridges the Americana tracks with the Elements by the mentioning of Chicago--as in the great fire for which Mrs OLeary's Cow was blamed, as well as a halfway point between Plymouth Rock and Diamond Head. Veggies then comes in at the end to tie it all back together. It can stand in as an Earth element as well as a celebration of American agriculture and representation of the idea that something good can grow from the ruins of the Native American's land/culture. The stoner stumbling on some guy's garden and demanding food is a humorous and oblique reenactment of the white mans behavior upon arrival to the new world. As for Side A's skits...Ice Cream Man ties together the idea of interacting with a motor vehicle driver as well as demanding food from the two earlier skits, this time in the context of reliving carefree childhood memories, which relates to the whole life/innocence theme of Side A. George Fell, to me, is a humorous exaggeration of becoming one with the music. As if the artist became so ensconced in his form of expression that it literally consumed him. Kind of like what happened to Brian with SMiLE. And why a horn? Because thats the last instrument to be prominently featured in the album. I think the fell into a mic/piano skits were variations of the same idea. I didnt use them because theyre not as charming, would have taken up more time, and would throw off the balance. On each side, there's one conversation between session musicians and one between Brian's friends. Heroes also has a funny line thrown in and Wonderful has a vaguely foreboding intro taken from the Psych Skits. The latter I intended to represent the boy bumping into the innocent girl.

Side A is a bit less obvious in how it fits together than Side 1, but I think it works. We have a song about finding pleasure with others, pleasure with solitude and the simple things, regrets with others, regretful revelations about life that can only come from lonely self-reflection, and finally the abandonment of traditional western values/religion in favor of a new, personalized outlook. Its a bunch of semi-related songs about life and all the ways you can look at it, good and bad, self-actualizing and self-defeating. An introspective counterpoint to the more outward-looking, retrospective Side 1. Surf's Up is really the key song here that takes all these seemingly unrelated vignettes and ties them together as fuel for an intense, world-changing epiphany. At least, thats how I see it.

The biggest change sequence-wise from my last mix is that Elements and Sunshine have switched sides. This is because I had yet to see Sunshine as a personal statement about religious/ethical disillusionment when I made Olorin. I just saw it as Brian and VDP recording some old Americana standards to go with their own Americana songs. I thought it was a lame throwaway track I only begrudgingly included because it was on the original printed tracklist. Now I see it as another introspective/life track, much more at home amongst CIFOTM and Surf's Up, as well as an indispensable piece of the album's message. Elements works better in its new place too, Id say. You can read it as a metaphor for our wanton destruction of the Native community, or the idea that in spite of all the damage we inflict on her, Mother Nature can really fuc|< us up when she wants to. For all our innovation with iron horses and ocean liners and bullets, we're still helpless against natural disasters. The unsettling feeling the track gives off fits a lot better with the Americana songs (which are loud, dynamic and have very dark undertones) a lot better than the more melodic and gentle Life tracks.

So, thats about it. ... This may seem near-identical to my latest mix but the changes, however slight, are really important and ultimately make for a totally different listening experience. It really is the best of both Aquarian and Olorin, I think.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22045.msg525021.html#msg525021

Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut] can be heard at https://vimeo.com/135728591

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:03 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
So much has been written about SMiLE and at such length (this author is no exception) that it's refreshing to come across a short essay and one with a fascinating angle, which is why I've reproduced it here--credited, of course.

An astrological connection between Surfs Up, Vega-Tables and My Only Sunshine?

I've posted a couple times here [at Smiley] about how I think Surfs Up and Vega-Tables are the big closers of each side. Whether one agrees with me on that or not, I do think each one was a particularly big deal to Brian and somehow connected in his mind. They're the only songs that we know of which had psychedelic sounds skits definitively associated with them, the fight for Veggies and George Fell for Surf. Those are the only comedy skits recorded by expensive Wrecking Crew musicians, implying Brian's serious intention to include them, and by extension how crucial these two tracks were. They got a double sided single release on the box set. They're basically back-to-back in Brian's 3-suites sequence (despite what a jarring transition that is) etc. They're possibly the most important songs in the album besides Heroes and Villains.

I'm wondering if the reason they're so connected is because they both have a hidden astrological meaning. Someone on this board proposed that the weird spelling of Vegetables was a reference to the Star named Vega and by extension "Vega Tables" could be evoking astrology as a whole. The star Vega is the brightest in the constellation Lyra, a lyre gripped by an Eagle. I see this as a summation of Side 1--American music. The association of an Eagle with the US is self explanatory, and a lyre is an ancient instrument. I think this goes a long way in proving that Vega-Tables belongs with the Americana tracks, NOT on Side 2 as so many seem inclined to do.

Now on Side 2 you have Surfs Up. If you follow the Astrological Ages you know that we have either recently entered or are set to enter the Age of Aquarius. This age is said to herald in a breaking down of traditional "patriarchal" institutions, reevaluating priorities and world views, renewed emphasis on raising children, and general free-spirited open-mindedness. As far as I've always interpreted it, that's what Surfs Up is all about too. So I see this song as an expression of that idea. Society is breaking down, there's so much exploitation and suffering...but theres hope for the future. The innocence of children can serve to inspire us. The world we leave for them can be a freer, more interesting Aquarian led one if we work to make it that way. Aquarius is the water-bearer...water, ocean, surf...Surfs Up? Possibly?

This could give new meaning to My Only Sunshine as well. Now, it's uncertain where this song would go on a 2-sided 67 LP. Brian has it with the other Americana tracks, many do likewise. Recently I've come to see it as a Side 2/Life track myself. But either way, I've come to respect this song a lot more recently. I've said numerous times how I've read it as Brian stating he was losing faith in traditional religion/ethos of Western society. This may still be true, but I also see it as the sun setting on an old age and bringing in the new with this astrology context applied. It's especially applicable when you consider that which constellation the sun is in determines the astrological sign. And this could then mean that Brian has grown disillusioned with the Old Master Painter/God as he's been characterized in the Piscean Age, but rather than give up, he's setting to rediscover him in a new, more personalized Aquarian context. Again, I think this goes a long way in proving Sunshine belongs with Surf. It's the curtain call for Pisces, an expression of disillusionment with the values of it, and then Surfs Up comes in with Aquarian values. With this new interpretation, I have even more respect for the track. Amazing how Brian was able to say so much with just a ~2 minute mashup of 2 old standards.

I realize I may be looking too hard into it. Maybe Veggies is just a lighthearted track about Veggies, Surfs Up is just a prose poem set to music and Sunshine is just a cover. But when you consider the zodiac signs are on the back of the intended sleeve, the alternate spelling of Vegetables, and the fact that Brian was really into astrology, numerology, alternative spirituality and various other new age ideas at the time...I think there's creedence to this. I think it gives the album cohesion beyond "one sides about America and the other side is about...other things." Now, not only is one a retrospective on America and the other an introspective on life...but they're the Piscean Age and Aquarian Age set to music. The Age of Pisces is associated with monotheism, violence in the name of religion and uniting the east and west. All ideas that are explored in the Americana tracks. Aside from the values I listed above, the Age of Aquarius is associated with individuality, creativity and personal expression. I think the non-Americana tracks I have on my Side 2 embody these ideas well.

And I know I'm *really* reaching with this last thought but maybe Brian saw himself as the "speaker" of the Aquarian Age the same way Jesus and Moses heralded in the ages of Pisces and Aries. Don't think that I'm saying Brian saw himself as a prophet or some religious leader on their level. Obviously not. But he did see himself making a symphony to God/music people would pray to. The whole idea behind Aquarius is supposed to be power in the individual, not some all-encompassing Church. I think it's reasonable to assume Brian wanted to enlighten as well as empower his listeners, not dictate any set theology. Sort of like a "we failed as a people in the past, all this evil done in the name of religion/nationalism. The ethos of the new era should be individual thought and expression. I made this album to share *my* interpretation of the world. What will *you* do? The power is yours." That sort of message. Maybe this is why someone says "don't think you're God, just be a cool guy" in the Smiley version of Wonderful. Maybe this played into the scrapping of the album--Brian lost passion in, or faith in his ability to convey such a message. So with Smiley he dropped this grandiose intent and just wanted to make a "cool" album.

First posted on Smiley by Mujan/theSuperMetroid and later at PSF

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:04 pm

View user profile

on Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 pm
Mr. K wrote:APRIL
29 Brian to NME's Keith Altham in 1967: all 12 Smile tracks completed and "Vegetables" a possible next 45

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Tue May 01, 2018 11:41 am
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22689.0.html

More grist to the SMiLE mill... I was baffled at first by this fascinating topic (linked above) on SMiLE and numerology launched at Smiley by my "SMiLE guru" (Mujan aka theSuperMetroid). I had to find out how numerology works--it's an area I'd never explored. But all is well now. It seems Mujan uses this particular method:

Numbers can be assigned to letters of the Latin alphabet as follows:
1 = a, j, s,
2 = b, k, t,
3 = c, l, u,
4 = d, m, v,
5 = e, n, w,
6 = f, o, x,
7 = g, p, y,
8 = h, q, z,
9 = i, r,
.....and then summed. Examples:

3,489 → 3 + 4 + 8 + 9 = 24 → 2 + 4 = 6
Hello → 8 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 6 = 25 → 2 + 5 = 7

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology#Alphabetic_systems

View user profile

on Tue May 01, 2018 12:57 pm
Mr. K wrote:http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22689.0.html

More grist to the SMiLE mill... I was baffled at first by this fascinating topic (linked above) on SMiLE and numerology launched at Smiley by my "SMiLE guru" (Mujan aka theSuperMetroid). I had to find out how numerology works--it's an area I'd never explored. But all is well now. It seems Mujan uses this particular method:

Numbers can be assigned to letters of the Latin alphabet as follows:
1 = a, j, s,
2 = b, k, t,
3 = c, l, u,
4 = d, m, v,
5 = e, n, w,
6 = f, o, x,
7 = g, p, y,
8 = h, q, z,
9 = i, r,
.....and then summed. Examples:

3,489 → 3 + 4 + 8 + 9 = 24 → 2 + 4 = 6
Hello → 8 + 5 + 3 + 3 + 6 = 25 → 2 + 5 = 7

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerology#Alphabetic_systems

I`ve done numerology off and on since I was a teenager. I think I have a book about it somewhere.

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Thu May 03, 2018 9:57 am
DarkGothicQueen wrote:I`ve done numerology off and on since I was a teenager. I think I have a book about it somewhere.

It's a new world to me, as is astrology (the serious stuff, not horoscope BS).

With thanks to jiggy22 at Smiley for linking this. Chapter Three of Lewis Shiner's Glimpses is about SMiLE.

http://www.fictionliberationfront.net/glimpses.pdf

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Thu May 03, 2018 6:20 pm
Does anyone on here have any memories from the time SMiLE collapsed in the late '60s? I've probably asked this many a time in the past, but hey, another new board! Laughing

View user profile

on Thu May 03, 2018 9:50 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:Does anyone on here have any memories from the time SMiLE collapsed in the late '60s? I've probably asked this many a time in the past, but hey, another new board! Laughing

I must have read Derek Taylor's "SCRAPPED" article in Disc & Music Echo--I read all the music papers in those days. That's not even a real memory--sorry!

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Fri May 04, 2018 8:23 am
Mr. K wrote:I must have read Derek Taylor's "SCRAPPED" article in Disc & Music Echo--I read all the music papers in those days. That's not even a real memory--sorry!

I know someone over at Smiley told their memory from the time. Can't remember who, though!

View user profile

on Sat May 05, 2018 10:45 am
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:I must have read Derek Taylor's "SCRAPPED" article in Disc & Music Echo--I read all the music papers in those days. That's not even a real memory--sorry!

I know someone over at Smiley told their memory from the time. Can't remember who, though!

I'll have a look later in the week when I have more time...

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Sun May 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Mr. K wrote:
Cool Cool Water wrote:

I'll have a look later in the week when I have more time...

Brilliant!

View user profile

on Tue May 08, 2018 1:55 pm
Looking for something else entirely I ran across this--that Mujan (theSuperMetroid) gets everywhere! This is what "Mujanus" has to say (unedited) about this remix of "Vega-Tables":

Vega-Tables- I replaced the ending of the 2011 version with the more traditional "Vegetable Fade" from the Sessions. I do not feel the 2011 ending was meant for Vega-Tables, while the fade most obviously was. I added in the best of the "Vegetable Arguments" to coincide with the humorous element of the song, and at the end of the fade-out I put it the crunching segments and the best of the "Psychodelic Vegetables" outtakes. There's a lot of material that was made for Vega-Tables, and I feel it was very important to Brian. It was one of the more complex songs on SMiLE, one of the few to survive into the Smiley sessions AND be reprised at the end of a later album (as "Mama Says") and now on the box set it is the only song to get a single release along with the album's centerpiece Heroes and Villains and it's crowning ballad Surf's Up. To me, this justifies the length of my new extended cut. As for where this song is placed on my mix, I feel that other releases/bootlegs that put it so close after Surf's Up are doing both songs an injustice. Surf's Up is, as I said, the crown jewel, the great sweeping poetic ballad of SMiLE. Vega-Tables on the other hand, is a giant show-stopper that celebrates humor, happiness and health. Putting the two one after the other is too jarring and destroys the impact each would have seperately. So, I stuck with tradition by having Vega-Tables come after Workshop, but (for previously explained reasons) I moved Workshop to the end of Fire. I feel this helps the album flow better as a whole without that drastic change in tone right at the middle.

"How would you like to get pushed over that hill? Smart-alec punk!"

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

on Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm
Mr. K wrote:

I like what Mujan has done with the SMiLE cover. The green and black really sets it off in a dark, gloomy and arty way for some reason. lol!

View user profile

on Wed May 09, 2018 10:18 am
This essay was written in January 2017 at PSF by theSuperMetroid based on her writings (as Mujan) at Smiley--hence the opening sentences, which I've seen fit to leave in. Needless to say, I have been given the green light to do this although the idea was mine in the first place. This should be essential reading for SMiLE scholars.

For anyone from Smiley this is gonna be an extensive rehash. But these are my thoughts on how SMiLE should be mixed. Unlike in Smiley though, I'm just gonna say this once, because I'm sick of reiterating the same points again and again.

Ok... *deep breath*

First of all, I prefer a simpler 12 or 13 track arrangement, not the 17-20 tracks that were on Brian Wilson Presents Smile (henceforth BWPS) or the 2011 release (henceforth TSS) or some "everything and the kitchen sink" mixes Ive seen. Its much more likely that this is the way Brian intended it to go, it's more like what 60s albums were, and I think it makes the music more accessible that way. I also don't like having short fragments as tracks. Like, Barnyard shouldn't be a standalone track, for example.

With that said, I prefer to use the 12 tracks that were written on the tracklist. Sometimes I cheat and use part of Holidays as part of Wind Chimes. Or maybe I'll use a fragment like With Me Tonight as part of Im In Great Shape. Once or twice I've left IIGS off and used Look as the 12th track. But, generally speaking...I think we can assume those 12 songs on the Capitol list are what the album was going to be. Stuff like Look, Holidays, Tune X and You're Welcome were almost certainly not gonna be included. I could describe why I feel that way more if anyone disagrees.

I firmly, strongly, 100 percent believe in a 2-suite structure as opposed to the 3 suite structure of BWPS/TSS, or the more formless mixes Ive heard. I think it sounds better, and I think it's more thematically correct that way. There's quotes of Brian saying it was going to be a two movement cantata back in the day, and when BWPS came out, he said "we ADDED a third movement" implying there had already been two. This fits with the vinyl format he would have had in mind. He had already done something similar with the Today! album. And where I differ with a lot of people too is I don't believe in an Elements side. The evidence is far more compelling for a "reflections on America/society" and a "reflections on life/individuals." An extroverted and an introverted trip. Contemplating what's beautiful and what's awful about the world around you...and then turning that analysis inwards.

I think Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence, Vega-Tables, and Do You Like Worms? form the core one side. They're all about Americana. No one would deny this is true for H&V, CE and Worms. Some would argue Veggies has nothing to do with America. But I would offer these points to convince them: it could be a celebration of american farming and agriculture (imagine it going next to IIGS and/or Barnyard!). Then there's the stylized spelling as VEGA-Tables. Vega is a star in the constellation Lyra, which is an eagle gripping a lyre--the perfect illustration of "americana music" would you not say? With its humor and bombast, it's a perfect companion piece to H&V--and they were even placed next to each other on Smiley Smile. While those two songs are like twins, there are also notable similarities between Worms and CE--references to various forms of transportation (bicycles, ocean liners, trains, trucks), quieter verses with more energized choruses, references to minorities who suffered to create America (Coolies and Indians) and finally references to specific landmarks (Sandwich Isles, Grand Coulee Dam.)

I think Wonderful, Child is Father of the Man, Wind Chimes and Surf's Up form the core of the other side. They have the same sad, somber tone. The instrumentation is very similar--very prominent pianos (or harpsichords), in some cases xylophones, and horns. Like the other set, this one has one possible odd man out--Wind Chimes. But the pianos/horns it shares with those other three are a HUGE clue that they belong together as far as I'm concerned. It blows my mind that more people havent noticed or acknowledged this obvious clue. Also Wind Chimes is very personal and contemplative in subject matter like those others. There was a compelling theory I read once as well that Wind Chimes was about the contemplation of death. Apparently there's some Eastern symbolism with Wind Chimes, and just the whole "all we are is dust in the WIND" idea. Taken all together, these songs show loss of innocence (Wonderful), mental health (CIFOTM according to his new book), loneliness and/or taking pleasure in the little things (WC) and finally deep contemplation on life (Surfs Up.) Surf's Up also ends on the promise of the next generation (a children's song). And the title of CIFOTM itself IS the cycle of life.

So that leaves Good Vibrations, IIGS, Old Master Painter and the Elements. There don't fit in as cleanly, and I've gone back and forth on which side to put them. Here's my thoughts song by song:

OMP has an indescribable "country" feel to it, especially with the fade. It's also two old standards, which strikes me as Americana. I think the hidden meaning of this song no one else has picked up on is that it's about losing one's faith, at least in traditional organized religion if not in the belief of God. It begins by introducing the OMP (God) and then says this character WAS the narrator's sunshine, but presumably isn't anymore. I think the idea that such a deep, profound message could be created just by pairing two standards together is exactly the kind of inventive idea SMiLE Era Brian would have come up with. But whether this revelatory hidden meaning makes it more fitting in America or Life I cannot say.

Good Vibrations I think would be the opener to Side 2 as is commonly theorized. I think it works as a counter point to the unsuccessful relationship and loss of innocence of Wonderful. And exciting happy romance is a part of the cycle of life too. It makes a lot more sense on Side 2...it just doesnt fit nearly as well as the core four tracks.

IIGS we know is strongly linked with Heroes, so that means Side 1 is likely for where it was supposed to go. But also, it has that horn, xylophone and/or piano (depending on the version) instrumentation which is so common on Side 2. Plus, I really like the idea of opening a cycle of life side with waking up and eggs in the morning...and then Wind Chimes has that "in the late afternoon" lyric later on the side. But part of the question is...what even IS IIGS anyway? We can't really know. I tried out a version of it with IIGS proper, Barnyard, the Mama Says chants as a chorus, and With Me Tonight. I thought it was rough but ok at the time. In hindsight I hate it. I think it's possible it might have been leftover H&V segments too. But honestly, more and more I'm open to just using the BWPS structure for it. IIGS/I wanna be around/workshop and then maybe Barnyard. Or maybe put I wanna be around first, then workshop, then IIGS at the end.

The Elements I think works on either side. Elements are part of the environment, so they can work as the extroverted trip of Side 1. But also...I believe there's quotes of Brian and/or Vosse talking about the elements being a spiritual and healing thing in the context of SMiLE. Perhaps not just the physical elements but emotional release. Fire could be dread, water could be serenity, air could be curiosity or flightiness, earth could be...who knows? And that leads us to what even is the elements... Fire is fire. And this was a controversial opinion I got a lot of flak for, but I think the answer to Water and Air can be found in the Psychedelic Sounds bootleg. Air is the breathing skit. The rythmic breathing of Brian and his friends we hear on tape was, in my strong opinion, an experimental "rough draft" of what Air was going to be, possibly (likely) with musical overlays. I know Brian said Air was a piano...why couldn't it be both? Some piano section he never finished writing and never recorded, with vocal breathing? Water is the Undersea Chant and/or Water Chant. Same thing, I think this section of the bootleg was a first draft of sorts that Brian would have worked on with the Beach Boys once they came back from Europe. He sort of did just that, by eventually having them record the Water Chant. Now, is the Water Chant different from the Undersea Chant? Yes. Because it was like a year later that it was put to tape and the idea changed. But they definitely represent the same train of thought as far as I'm concerned. The water sounds Vosse recorded could have been the musical accompaniment to these fish sounds. Earth is a lot less certain, but could maybe be Workshop. Im far, far less sure of what Earth might have been. There's definite proof it was Veggies at least for awhile. But I think by the time the tracklist was turned in that idea changed and Veggies was a full song. I also think Workshop makes sense as rebuilding after the fire. I usually use one of these two.

For fun, I analyzed the track names using Numerology one time. And what I found was that if you put H&V, CE, Worms, Veggies, OMP and IIGS on one side while putting Elements, GV, WC, Wonderful, CIFOTM and SU on the other, both sides equal the same number according to numerology. This is hardly definitive proof or anything, and I admit is likely a coincidence. Still, I thought it was interesting. I tried a few other groupings, and even tried to see if there was some other pattern (like one track equaling 1, then another 2, then a 3, etc and that spelling out a tracklist or all tracks on one side equaling the same number and those on another side equaling a different number) but there wasnt. These groupings make sense and sound good even outside the Numerology evidence--that's just the icing on the cake. And Brian was interested in Numerology as well as a lot of other far out stuff so it's not totally beyond possibility.

So, I go back and forth on exact order, and sometimes I even play around with what side to put GV, IIGS, OMP and the Elements on. Everytime I think Ive made the perfect, unquestionable sequence I change my mind usually around one year later. But my core ideas (12 tracks, 2-suite, Americana and Life themed sides, 4 core tracks on each side with 4 that kinda bridge them together) havent changed in like 3 years now. I think Worms or Heroes make the most sense to open side one while OMP or Veggies make the most sense to close it. Heroes was the new single. Worms is the perfect introduction to the idea of a journey across America, and it even begins with the lyrics "Once Upon..." Plus, Prayer works far better coming before Worms than Heroes. It sounds better, and it fits the theme of both the pilgrims coming for religious freedom AND the fact that they destroyed the church of the Indians. Brian called OMP "the grand finale" and with the new loss of faith meaning I've discovered, it makes perfect sense as bookmarking the religion theme which Prayer opens the side with. I'll explain Veggies as a closer soon. I think Good Vibes or IIGS (if I'm using it on this side) fit best as the openers for Side 2. GV was the old single. I explained why I like IIGS above. Its the morning, and theres the lyric in WC about the late afternoon to complement it later on the side. Then you can think of Surf's Up as the twilight of the day, and of the narrator's life. Surf's Up IS the final track on Side 2 and the album. It sounds best there, it works the best there thematically, and we have multiple quotes saying as much. It also makes the most sense to have the self-referential nod to their roots AFTER this whole album of completely off the wall experimental stuff, not in the middle of it.

Another reason Surf's Up makes sense as a closer, and why I think Veggies does too, is they had comedy skits professionally recorded for them. Brian was in the studio with Hal Blaine when the two (plus Vosse) recorded the fight skit about vegetables. Brian had the studio musicians record the George Fell skit in the studio. These weren't just him goofing off with his friends...though they had their start on the psychedelic sounds bootleg. On that boot, we hear a variety of ideas being worked on. I already talked about Breathing and Undersea. But also there were comedy ideas, usually revolving around 2 themes--falling into instruments (Brian falls into piano, it was Brian in the Mic) and fighting (I forget the specific tracks this happens, also Brian is quoted saying "we've got to keep fighting but then we've got to make up!" when trying to goad the other guys to go along with an idea.) Then there's a lot of other weird experimental stuff which never really got used or amounted to much. But just because much of the ideas therein seemed to be dropped, that doesn't mean nothing worthwhile from these sketches didn't cross over into tangible ideas for SMiLE. The Water Chant, George Fell and the Vegetable Fight are the main examples. I'm also partial to using Taxi Driver and Smog in my SMiLE mixes too, though I admit theres a lot less reason to think they'd make the cut. In any case, Psychedelic Sounds was Brian testing out ideas with his friends that he would later refine with the band and the studio musicians and that is a fact.  I think George Fell and the fight would have been on the album in some way. Maybe as hidden "tracks" at the end of each side. Maybe as intros to the final tracks on each side (in George Fell, one guy says "wait till they hear the next track!") or maybe overlaid in the songs themselves similar to the Truck Driving Man lyrics in CE, or "You're Under Arrest!"

So...I think that's it for my thoughts on what SMiLE very likely would have been and how I think it works best. Worms, IIGS, H&V, CE, OMP, Veggies and the Veggie Fight in some order on Side 1. GV, Elements, WC, Wonderful, CIFOTM, SU and George Fell in some order on Side 2.  

Source: http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/881/personal-smile-mix?page=2&scrollTo=18023

View user profile

on Thu May 10, 2018 1:41 pm
If you are going to directly quote a post from another message board, be sure to ask the permission of the poster. See the RULES AND GUIDELINES section for a full explanation. Thanks. ~~~DGQ

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Thu May 10, 2018 4:46 pm
DarkGothicQueen wrote:If you are going to directly quote a post from another message board, be sure to ask the permission of the poster. See the RULES AND GUIDELINES section for a full explanation. Thanks. ~~~DGQ

I most certainly did.

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Fri May 18, 2018 2:22 pm
Cool Cool Water wrote:
Mr. K wrote:

I like what Mujan has done with the SMiLE cover. The green and black really sets it off in a dark, gloomy and arty way for some reason. lol!

The complete Mujan Smile Remixes can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEEA2532E03EDC17E

Here's one for you, Rich:  

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 pm
I see that theSuperMetroid has retrieved a bunch of SMiLE-related posts from Smiley where they were languishing and often misunderstood at the time. They can now be found here:

http://petsoundsforum.com/thread/2587/uploading-smile-mixes-essays-smileysmile?page=1&scrollTo=65313

Advisor
Advisor
View user profile

on Mon May 21, 2018 9:34 am
Here's another SS SMiLE-related topic--this time by Dunderhead aka Fishmonk--that was resurrected recently.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23819.0.html

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum